Chiari Malformation Community
spinal tap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

spinal tap

My sister in law has arnold chiari malformation. She had the surgery about 7 years ago. She now is in the hospital and the neurologist is wanting to do a spinal tap on her. She was told that she should never have one done. Can anyone please asnwer if they know about this. They are wanting to do the spinal tap tomorrow morning. I appreciate any help given.
Hi...from what I understand a LP or spinal tap is not a good idea for those of us with chiari...if this is a chiari specialist they may want to do it if she is having issues believed to be from hydrocephalus which can develope after the PFD for chiari has been done.

As with ne proceedure, a LP can be difficult for ne one to have....it can cause headaches....but since this is being done by a dr that knows her medical history I am sure the benefits of the proceddure out weight the  risks.

Do u know y they want to do the proceedure??

"selma"
they are wanting to do it because they need to rule out spinal menigitis (meningitis). The neurologist at this hospital is not familiar with arnold chiari. We are scared that her body is shutting down. She is throwing up, severe headaces, numbness, high white blood cell, loss of bladder control, skin turning purple and no balance. It seems that all her symptoms are coming back. We are thinking of having her transferred to another hospital. but not sure of a specialsit in dallas tx. We are really scared of the spinal tap. what are the complications of having one?
Hi...from what I understand it can cause a chiari malformation to herniate....she can develope HA's.....

Did they check her for a CSF leak or tethered cord??A MRI of her brain, cervical , thoracic and lumbar spines will also tell what else may be going on.

There is a thread in the forum on chiari specialists I do believe there were names of drs in TX....I will look and let u know.

How do they feel she got the menigitis (meningitis)?
She is at a small hospital. She went there friday and they could not find anything at that time. She is running a 103 degree temp. they did a MRI this morning which they saw something they didnt like so they called a neurologist and he stated that he believed it had nothing to do with the ACM. The doctor in CO who did her surgery told her that it could come back in 5 to 7 years. We just dont know what to do. Should we transfer to baylor hosp in dallas? should we not let him to the spinal tap? her liver enzymes were high also so they did a sonogram tonight. We havent heard any result. The nurse even stated that they might release her which scared us to death. How do we get a chiari specialist to see her in the hospital?
Oh CO did Dr Oro do the original surgery?...Yes it can come back......a fall, a bumpy car ride can trigger it to herniate.

I will forward some names of drs that some members have listed as chiari drs...I can not say that they r....U might call Dr Oro and ask him who is the closest dr to her to see to this issue.

I will PM the names again I do not know if they r chiari specialists.

Please keep me posted on her condition

"selma"
i'd transfer to baylor...baylor is a great hospital!  i believe presby of plano  (parker and the tollway) also has chiari specialists....

i grew up in the dallas area...what hospital are you at now?
i don't know if it's too late...i have a chiarian friend who lives in dallas, and she is going to have her surgery at presby of dallas, so that may be a good choice!

-j