Chiari Malformation Community
swallowing issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

swallowing issues

Today I got some results for the swallowing tests I had done on Monday.  I was referred to these guys by the NS because I am having so much trouble with food getting stuck in my throat, coughing, hacking, choking when I try to eat.  Now does anyone else have this happen?  I am supposed to have a endoscopy week after next to see if they can find out why food isnt going down.  In time for thanksgiving! Yay! I maybe wont have to puree thanksgiving dinner.  

Is this Chiari related or am I just falling apart?  The doc wasnt sure.  Said most times Chiari related swallowing issues start with weakness in the throat.  But I believe they just dont know!! I think that gastric motility is neurologic and it could be?

Any feedback?  
Hi...I have had all the same testing...yum...barium swallow food tests soooo yummy....not!

Many with chiari do have GERD and issues related...plus we can also have thyroid issues which can also cause the same type of feelings in the throat.

And chiari  itself can cause issues with swallowing and the gag reflex.

I know many members have also complained of this symptom as well.

Having the endoscopy is a good idea to be sure  what may be going on...I also have a hiatal hernia which is typical for those with Ehlers-Danlos and that is my root for my GERD...it is all just a vicious cycle.

"selma"
i have acid reflux too...(gerd) and think most of us with chiair do...just one of the many side effects! lol!  for now, try taking a prilosec otc....should help with the pain and discomfort and will stop the problems you're having with food "getting stuck" until you get in to have the test done.  and will allow you to enjoy your turkey!  lol
elizabeth
I have GERD as well, which was found after I went for the barium swallowing test, and endoscopy. I think that this is pretty common, yet annoying. i am also a smoker so this might make my swallowing symptoms worse. I feel like I have a lump in my throat all of the time. I was put on some medicine to treat the GERD but it never helped so I stopped taking it.