Chiari Malformation Community
syringomelia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

syringomelia

hi all
i was recently told i have this new wonderful rare condition.
I was told its on my spine c3-c7 what that means i have no idea.
i have loads of headaches pain in back and my left eye is always hurting me ( no idea if this is connected) my arms always are numb and i drop alot of things cause my hands lock, i did have a car-pol tunnel operation which only made it worse. my legs are becoming weaker and the pain is getting worse.
i am on morphine for this which i need to keep increasing.
can anyone please just advise me. i am hoping one day it will just go away.
x

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum...where chiari and syringomyelia r not rare, but well experienced Drs are.

Were u dx'd with chiari as well? If not is ur syringomyelia congenital or acquired?.....

B4 u had ur carpal tunnel surgery did they do an EMG to make sure this was the issue? I was dx'd yrs ago with tarsal tunnel (ankle) and was told they had this new way of testing for it....was told I needed surgery, I never had it, had a EMG after I had my chiari dx and it was nerve issues and as a result of the first surgery I have nerve damage and had to have another surgery on that ankle....

C3 to C7 tells u how long ur syrinx is, this is a cyst like cavity that fills with CSF, it can be due to a CSF obstruction like chiari malformation , or due to an injury of that area....the larger the syrinx gets it compresses the nerves and can cause perm nerve damage if left untreated for too long.

U need a well experienced Dr in this, most if not all Chiari Drs treat this.....usually it is with a Chiari surgery as it helps shrink the syrinx, and if the syrinx is large enuff they may be able to use a stent or shunt, but that is not always the case.....

Do look into related issues and see about a chiari Dr,