Chiari Malformation Community
unable to work because of chiari

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

unable to work because of chiari

Hello :)

I have had dizziness, balance problems, headaches, weakness, numbness in face/arms/legs/hands/feet, and nausea (among other symptoms) for the past few months. Long story short, I have a chiari malformation and am waiting for a few more appointments, test results and a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion before I consider surgery.

I have been out of work for about 5 weeks now. I manage a restaurant and bartend and am not able to stand/run around for that many hours without feeling like I'm about to have a stroke. The owners have been great, letting me do some of my management things from home and some office work at the restaurant. They pay me a small amount each week, but I need to make more money. Do any of you have (legit) ideas of ways to make money from home? Or can you share what type of work that you do that isn't too hard on you?

I feel like I can't really apply for jobs right now because I have so many dr appointments and because I walk pretty slow and unsteady right now...I feel like someone wouldn't hire me because I look (for lack of a better way to say it) like I have been drinking!

I am single with a little bit of savings but I have medical bills, regular bills, and need to eat this crazy expensive organic diet that I am on (due to gluten, soy and dairy sensitivities).

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated!

Hi...well I have been trying to find something for myself as well....some members have been able to return to work and some of us were not.

We have an older thread where we asked this same question what can we do from home...I have not been able to drive for 3 yrs, so that would hold me back as well trying to get to work...

Have u always had the dietary issues?

Do u have a chiari specialist yet? I see u said u r waiting on tests and a 2nd and 3rd opinion....that is the best way to deal with this, educate urself and research and interview a few Drs of the same caliber.

I don't drive anywhere too far from home...I get nervous that something will happen. You haven't been able to drive for 3 years?!?! I thought you had surgery?? You didn't feel better after?

Looking back guess I have always had dietary issues. I have been sick basically my whole life and have been diagnosed with more things than I can remember sometimes. I always thought my issues stemed from the diagnoses of the month. I recently found a doctor that has a "functional medicine" approach to care...basically finding and treating the main issue. Not giving you pills for symptoms. He did extensive testing and found my food allergies among other things. I had originally heard him speak on Fibromyalgia and Thyroid disease..I have both and paid out of pocket to see him.

I am currently seeing a neurosurgeon, but am sending my MRI's (brain and spine) and some paperwork that tells of my symptoms to the Chiari Institute in New York and to Dr. Jho in Pittsburgh. I have also thought about seeing Dr. Bejjani in Pittsburgh. I have heard that Dr. Bejjani and the Chiari Institute are the places to go (but have heard bad things as well) and I like the idea of Dr. Jho's less invasive approach to surgery.

Yes I did have surgery, but I do have a few other issues that have yet to be dealt with...cerviocranial instability, bulging disks,cervical stinosis,Ehlers-Danlos, and tethered cord....I was having drop attacks b4 surgery, have not had one since but until I have the other surgeries they suggest  more r possible and they will not release me to drive....

I went thru time with no ins post op so things have been put on the back shelf  for a bit....had to slow things down....

My surgery was at TCI....and I was well pleased.

There r always greedy people and others trying to blacken the good name and rep of good Drs....not all u read and heard is true....

Dr Bejjani is a nice man....but was too far to get to, same with Dr Oro, so I went with TCI as I was very impressed with the Drs there and my DD lives in NYC so it gave me a way for my DD to visit .....

But overall I really felt Dr Insinga was the right Dr for me....u will know when u meet the right one.
Thanks for your responses selma :)