weird taste in mouth?
Just wondering if ANY of my chiari friends have heard or expeirenced this. Last night it started and all day today Ive had a funny taste in my mouth kinda like metal its so weird and whatever I eat or drink it just comes right back. I looked it up and one symptom from chiari was this. Has anyone ever had this?
Not me personally, but I have read this as a symptom here before.. keep searching; it should come up.
Ive looked it up and it came up as a symptom from a csflow fluid leak so now im in panic mode! lol
Was that what it was?  
All I know is panic doesn't help.  :)
thats happen to before and still does on ocassion. i.also read that is actually smell is actually responsible for what food taste.. like to different people... just what ive read, dont know how.that fits in to.chiari sx.
It is a side effect of some meds too.  Diamox made pop awful!
I have experienced this a lot. Somedays nothing tastes nor smells right either. I too blame it on my drugs. I don't even want to think about a csf leak. Tho I do. I have fluid come out of my ears at weird times also and I'm trying not to think its a leak. For my whole life I've never had anything come out of ears, not even wax, ever. See my ns the 19th, so we will see. If it scares u maybe u should touch base with dr. Hugs,Dana ;)
Everything tastes like cardboard to me, so it could also be a sensory overload  as well as deficit.

I think my NS even asked me about a metallic taste in my mouth.

I cant identify some odors either; they're either pleasant or OFFENSIVE, although Im never quite sure what they are.  Except for asphalt or car fumes.
Everything does taste different.  I am pickeyy eater, i find my self mixing foods that i normally wouldn't or never liked very much. it does all the same to me. ”like cardboard  like viv said. but i started to notice it ,.my smell and hearing were all going hawire.
Brings me a funny  im always accusing hubby of passing gas.. sometimes i believe him. lol!!!
LOL!
We blame the dog.
thank you and yes im seeing my NS on wensday thank goodness!
I have had this also.  I is weird at times, but I have nerve damage in my mouth and it flares up at times.  So glad to hear your seeing your NS. They will set your mind at ease.  
Linda :)
yes linda I am and yes I cant wait to see her but i dont wanna know my surgery date lol:/
I have it also. Either everything tastes like cardboard, or metal. I am always asking everyone around me if stuff tastes that way to them.  I always thought I had a deficiency. Not on any meds, and no surgery yet.

Hi,,,,,it is possible u r tasting CSF fluid, but it is not a huge possibility.....did u have surgery and if so how far post op r u?

Sometimes we have these diff tastes as a result from reflux too, and that is more or a higher possibility then u tasting CSF.....either way u should have ur Dr check this for u.
I hope it's not a csf leak but the 1st time it happened to me that is exactly what I thought of and when I looked it up that is also what I found. I was actually having a dynamic ct scan done and when my head was rotated to the left, the pressure at the base of my skull got so severe that I thought my head was gonna explode then the metallic taste occurred.  The Dr totally blew it off when I told him and I was only dx'd with chiari 3 wks ago after months of me trying to convince Drs of it.  I feel like that i what it was as it hasn't happened again and I'm not on meds that would cause it.  I have also felt a liquid in my ears at times when the pressure is severe.  Chiari causes so many odd sx it's hard to tell, but I would definitely mention it to your Dr
no i have not had surgery yet selma and thats what i thought it could be was a csf leak so now im really scared should i call my doc tomm to see or just wait to see her wensday is it very serious like life threating idk lol? but then i ask myself how that could happen because i havent had surgery yet? could that be possiable i dont know im all new to this i book my surgery date this week in two days
yes and also im not on any meds so that wouldnt be the cause of it and i dont feel anything coming out of my ears but i do taste that metal taste in my mouth and it comes and goes its been like this for two days it suddenly happen.
and Dicon have you had surgery yet due to your chiari?
no I haven't had surgery.  I was actually just finally diagnosed with chiari last month. I'm going for a cine-MRI on Thursday.  My thought was that it was due to the pressure build up of the CSF and that somehow it leaked out so that's why I was tasting it....like maybe no more room for it to go anywhere?  I don't know....seems weird too but seemed to be only explanation for why I'd suddenly taste metal when I could feel an intense pressure build up.  Keep me posted on what your Dr says....although he/she will probably blow it off like mine did.
Di

CSF leaks r more likely to happen post op....although they have happened prior but it is less likely to happen that way,.....

If it was a CSF leak and one that was a larger one u would be really sick....u would not be able to change positions....

Do mention the odd taste and let us know what u find out about that and do post on the surgery date thread when ur surgery is scheduled for.....
how do I get to the surgery thread?

U can look thru the pages of threads or use the search this community feature and put the topic in and it will bring up a page of threads......I will bump it up