Chiari Malformation Community
what are symptoms of csf after surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

what are symptoms of csf after surgery?

I had posterior fossa decompression surgery in aug. 2011. Its been 2 months and I have pressure headache all day, everyday. Could this be a sign of a csf leak?! Notice no change in chiari symptoms, but now have more. Last week I had a debilitating headache for 4 days. Alls I could do was sleep and cry. It is affecting my whole left side includind my vision. Left eye is always blurred and pressure behind it. Anyone have a clue if its related to csf leak?
I know when I had a CSF leak it was 8 weeks after surgery.  What I noticed in my was that the back of my head was swelling up.  When I felt it I thought it felt like a balloon.  It felt really mussy.  I thought this might be normal never having surgery before.  I did have pressure headaches with it.  I would call your doctor right away.  This is something you don't want to go unoticed.  My doctor was surprised that it was a csf leak  because this doesn't usually occur 8 weeks out of surgery.  Keep up undated and good luck.  Just take it easy.  Don't be doing anything that requires lifting or bending.  I found with me it made it even worse.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is possible that what u r experiencing is a CSF leak, or it may be an excess of CSF building up forming the pressure...some develop this post op...it is called IIH or inter cranial hypertension also known as pseudo tumor cerebri.

No one really understands y some develop this while others do not....but it is a possibility....What did ur Dr say at ur 6 week post op visit?

DO ur pressure HA's get worse when u change position?

Do u have a sensitivity to light and  sound?

Are ur HA's worse post op?

"selma"
I can't really give you any sort of helpful advice other than when it comes to your vision always get your issues checked out by a doctor if there's something wrong, even if its minor. You don't want to risk your sight !!

I never had a 6 week check up. I went after 2 weeks to have my staples removed and I dont go back til oct 25 for a mri. Yes I have senitivity to light. And sound. And my left ear feels plugged almost al the time. I cannot drive at night because of the lights. My ns is in ann arbor.

I think u need to call ur NS and get in sooner...let him/her know what is going on....

I had a post op visit at 6weeks, 6 months and 1 yr....I did not need stitches removed as I did not have ne.....

But do call ur Dr and get in sooner.

"selma"
Thank you. I am calling on mon. Will keep you updated on my findings. I appreciate the info. Dont really have many to talk to about it.either people think im crazy or they are tired of hearing about it. I got my mom. She helps. But it really helps to talk with people who have and know what its like. Thank you again.

U r welcome : )

ne time...that is y we r here,......

"selma"