why are my symptoms suddenly so much worse?
my headaches and neck problems, sleeping, breathing, everything seems so much worse ever since i had a bad cough and a medical test (where a tube was stuck down my throught for a few hours to measure stomach acid- made me gag, dry heave and strain). are the worsening symptoms likely a flare? they have been really bad the past month? or could it mean my chiari herniation/syrinx is worse or do those likely take more time to progress?

Hi...it is most likely a flare from the testing....an endoscopy can make those without Chiari feel like that after the test...so, do try to relax as stressing over it will only make u feel worse and extend the flare.
Thanks selma! one question i do have as i wait to see the neurosurgeon is- is chiari generally something that doesn't cause acute problems? is it more a painful condition but that can get really bad but the pain will pass? my concern is i have been to the ER 4 times in the last 2 years (choking, weird sensations- thought i was having a stroke, and heart problems) and I guess im not sure what to expect from this illness and if any signs or symptoms should be really alarming. my headaches are terrible now- so much pressure and pain. im just concerned im at the point when i dont know if i should consider what im feeling alarming or not

Well it is typical for many of us to have our hearts checked.....I did....it helps us know what it is not...even tho it feels that way...and u have to look to family history too...it is not a far stretch for us to have a heart issue...so, always get checked.

Chiari affects our control center, so we can experience just about nething.
so i shouldnt be concerned about acute problems caused by chiari?

Not what I said, I said it is best to get things check, like our hearts which I consider acute problem...breathing issues the same thing get checked,,....sleep apnea is an issue for many chiarians.

I do not know what acute issues u r referring to.But it is always better safe then sorry.
Do you know what causes jerking/twitching neck? my neck feels tighter and weaker than normal- like my head is too heavy for it. and yet sometimes my neck in the past few weeks twitches or jerks slightly. is this caused by chiari or more likely a complication like syrinx or something else?
In my experience, a cold or flu can really exacerbate Chiari symptoms, as can any stress.

Easier said than done, but try to relax & take it one day at at time, document your symptoms, learn all you can.

Chiari affects the control center of everything in our bodies, so muscle twitches is not uncommon....all of the nerves r in the spinal cord, and we have compression, so it all depends what area is being affected as to which nerves react and in what manor they react....

It can be the syrinx or the Chiari causing this issue,....again it all depends on what area u r having the issue as to what nerve is involved ...this could  indicate which of the 2 could be the root source.....