Child Behavior Community
? ABOUT 7 YEAR OLD SON, HAS INTEREST IN SCHOOL AT ALL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Hello to everyone I need some advice about what to do for my 7 year old son.  First of all when h goes to school the teacher say that their is no problems with his behavior but my concern is that he does not have no interest in school at all!  I have tried everything from rewarding to punishing and nothing works.  When I help him with his homework I get the same results that the teacher get and that's if you ask him a ? he just hold his down and say he don't know then I would explain to him and I've tried writing the answer down without him knowing pointing to it and he still say he doesn't know. But I've monitored him playing a video game and he will master that but with his school and homework he just has no interest and he shows it.  I was wondering if anyone has tried Focus Factor and had any good results with it if so please let me know. Or if not that anything else that I can purchase that will help.  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks to all who respond.
Thank you for your reply but that's not the case I don't allow him to play video games they (my other son 6yr.) have a V-smile that they use to play with the learning games numbers and ABC's they show no interest in it anymore I guess they grew out of it. But myself and my husband do sit down with him 1 on 1 with him and do homework, read books and we even went as far as getting flash cards, Leap Frog DVDs and the DVD did help with him learning the sounds of his ABC's but he just has no interest in school work.  I have to basically have to force him to sit down and do homework, and when he's does that he will get side track and look like he's in another world. It will take him 1-2 hours to write 10 sentences for his spelling words.  Today I have a meeting at the school because I'm like if he's doesn't have interest in school now what make them think that he it will change next year. His report card was bad it had 3 F's and D's and I think that's bad but the teacher didn't request a conference and I think that that is a problem.  At least come together a try to see what can be done or need to be done then trying to fail him.  but like I said video games are a no no in this house because the games are not educational.  
It probably doesn't help that you're allowing him to play video games but not allowing him to focus on school.

My suggestion is:  Get rid of the video games completely until he can start focusing on school more.  It's not punishment and you should let him know that.  

You can tell him that he can have the video games back when he starts putting an interest in his school work.  

He should never play more than an hour a day anyway - and that is too much.
Once he starts focusing on school then he can get the video game back and hour each day.

I know he has an interest in something (video games) but you're rewarding him instead of having him focus on what's more important.

Try sitting w/ him and reading a book to him.  And then both of you talk about what the book was about.  Then have him sit and read the book and he can ask you questions about it.  Write some questions down for him to ask you.
Get him more involved w/ reading the paper and watching the news or old history movies.
Have him write something that he likes about himself, about you, his father, his house.  he can write about something that is important to him. Then you both read it and talk about it.
Once he sees you're taking an interest in his what's important to him - he might open up and start shining for you w/ his school work.

Is he being bullied as school?  That could have something to do w/ it too.  Do kids make fun of him at school?  You should do some checking.

But don't discipline him for not being interested in school right now until you know for-sure what's really going on.

Let me know!
How is he doing academically otherwise in school.  If the schoolwork is hard, he may try to avoid it.  It may appear like he's bored but maybe its too laboring for him.  If its too over his head, then you may want to get him tested for a Learning Disability.
I think that's the next step that i'm going to take.  I had mentioned that to his doctor before and she did say that maybe it was boring to him but yes I'm going to get him tested and take it from there.