Child Behavior Community
** Important things to look out for in a difficult child **

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

18 months ago I was shocked to discover that my son had diabetes. This affected his behaviour to the point that he was misdiagnosed with ADHD.

If your child's behaviour has deteriorated recently, please have him/her tested for diabetes if they experience any of the following symptoms:-

* A raging thirst (are they drinking more than they used to?)
* Passing water frequently (do they go to the toilet more often?)
* Tiredness/fatigue (are they sleeping more frequently/longer or are they difficult to wake?)
* Weight loss
* Thrush
* Cramps (possibly in the abdomen)
* Problems with eyesight (has their eyesight deteriorated quickly)

There is no history of diabetes in our family so please don't assume that because there is none in yours your child cannot have diabetes. If we had known sooner things would have been so much easier. The test is so simple, it takes seconds. As it is now my son is finding it difficult to manage the condition. He had been ill for a year but no one realised why, hence the misdiagnosis. Had we known a year earlier he would have had that extra time to manage the condition and would no doubt be healthier today.

Please bear this in mind if you are struggling with a difficult child.
Thank you for this good information here, there is a lot of misdiagnosis of ADHD .
No worries, I just hope it helps someone.

Louloub.