Child Behavior Community
My 5 year old is touching herself

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 5 year old is touching herself

My 5 year old daughter keeps touching herself and I can't seem to get her to stop. I have explained to her this is inappropricate but she doesn't listen. What can I do???
Tags: touching
Its normal behavior for a child. Instead of telling her it is inappropriate tell her that it is something we do in private and that if she wants to do that she needs to go to the restroom or do it in her room. That others don't need to see this
If it is excessive perhaps a good idea to ask why she is doing it as she is only 5 year old , has she been around other children and is copying ,ask her some questions in a nonchalent manner so not to make her think she is doing something wrong,
I agree very much with 91004. Just tell her it is a private thing and encourage the bathroom or bedroom.
hi
i think most of us has had an experience in this topic. To be open i caught my daughter (6) rubbing her private area in the bath,on her bed,watching tv. Lucky not infront of people but stil i was concerned. I got realy peeved when i went to check on her one night ,to find that she wasnt in bed. Instead when i looked for her under the bed,she was busy rubbing herself. I know it was wrong but i yelled at her an she started crying.   but image someone else like her brother came in and found her legs open with a full view of what shes doing.hes 10 now but when she was a baby i caught him with hes hand in her diaper touching her down there.. At first i just told him its a girls pvt place an he may not touch there. But later a while  when i went to shower i had 2 leave her in the cot an he was watching tv. When i was done i coudnt find him. I went to the cot and there he was . He had pulled her diaper off  an literly was fingering her. I went bilistic. But a gud hidding or 2 solved tht problem. But today i think it was her brother that introduced this habit to her.