Child Behavior Expert Forum
10 month old still waking 5 to 6 times at night.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a 10 month old son and I am nursing and also supplementing with a bottle.  For the first 6 months he slept with me and woke up about 4 times during the night.  I would nurse him back to sleep.  I began nursing him to sleep and then putting him in his crib.  He would wake up every hour or so wanting to be nursed.  I would often try to rock him, sing, pat him on the back but he just became hysterical until I nursed him and put him back to sleep.  My husband has tried to get up with him, again he just screams until I nurse him.  I've tried letting him "cry it out" and he becomes so hysterical he will actually throw up.  I don't know what else to do.  He refuses to go to sleep unless I nurse him, he won't even take a bottle at night.  I know he isn't hungry because he only nurses for about 5 minutes.  Should I just let him cry and not pick him up?  I tried this only once, after an hour of screaming I gave in.

Thanks for your help.

Tammy
Dear Tammy,

You are on the right track as you wonder about the solution. Yes, you'll have to let him cry it out, so to speak. It'll break your heart a bit, but remember that you are not hurting your son by doing this - you are helping learn a very important ability (i.e., to fall asleep on his own).
Please read Dr. Sears before you try cry it out!
Forgot to give you the URL:

http://www.askdrsears.com/

My son is 14 months and still wakes up many times.  Some babies are just more sensitive and are just wired differently.  It sounds like you may have a high need baby and Dr. Sears has good information on high need babies.

Good luck, I understand how you feel.

Cheers,
Rachel