Child Behavior Community
10 year old girl with GI problems and anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I have a 10 year old girl. This child is a straigh A student who is active in dance, sports, has friends, is a joy to be around, until recenlty has been self- asured and vivatious.  She  was recently diagnosed with Irritable Bowel and more recently with mild reflux.  She has never had either of these.  She refers to this as "stomach aches".  We tried taking her off of lactose to see if this was the problem.  We tried Levsin (antispasmotic used with infants)tablets and they have helped the IB.  We are most recently on Prevacid to help the reflux.  Since the onset of these symptoms she also is frequently nervous and uses the word nervous a lot.

I have tried to figure out what event or catalyst triggered the bouts with anxiety and could be creating the IB and reflux problems.  About 3 month ago, she was told a story in our church youth group of a girls whose mother had recently committed suicide. Several of the girls in the group knew the girl and the youth director knew the mother well.   The mother had left the daughter a note on the refridgerator not to come to the back of the house. The daughter, found her mother and the mother had shot herself.  My sweet 10 year old has never had to deal with mortality, now has this to deal with.  While I don't want to shelter her from life's realities, I want to help curb her anxieties.  She is now nervous about illnesses, germs, school . . you name it . . She even mentioned killing herself in one conversation.  This was a huge red flag for me.

We have had many long good conversations and she knows that neither her father nor I would ever harm ourselves, that she is loved, and that she is safe.   We are seeking counseling, and our pediatrician is recommending continuing on the Levsin, Prevacid, and starting on a low dose of Librium. What are yout thoughts?

I want our vibrant little girl back and will do anything to help her get through this.