11 Year Old Hearing Voices
Last night my 11 year old son told me he was "hearing voices."  I asked him what the voices were saying.  He said they were saying his name over and over again.  He said he thought it was his friends voices.  I told him it was probably just his imagination and sent him off to bed.  

This morning, his teacher called.  She said he broke down in science lab, was crying and complaining of hearing voices.  As with me, he told her he was hearing his name being called over and over again.  She referred him to the nurse who has now referred him to the school conselor. I'm waiting to hear back from her.  I've also got a call into his pediatrician.

Okay, so I'm a little freaked out and extremely concerned.  What is going on with my son?  He takes 36mg of Concerta on school days for ADD (not hyperactivity--just can't stay focused).  The nurse at my pediatrician's office assured me that hearing voices is not a side affect of Concerta.  He was diagnosed with a "processing" disorder years ago and went to speech therapy for it.  I'm hoping these "voices" are related to that and not some psychiatric problem.  Any ideas about what might be going on?

i've don't really know what could be happening.  it could all be related to his past health history.

but the best thing i could do if i were you and that was my child, was to show him lots of support.  Show him not to be scared and you stay calm as well.  if he says he hears voices then believe him.  he maybe worried that someone's going to think he's "crazy", let him know he's not the only one that has gone through this situation and it will take some time to find the answer.  and try talking to him to ease his mind.  try to positive for his sake.  it must be a scary situation for all of you.

Some type of mental disorder runs in my family.  i was told it skips a generation.  and my grandmother has it.  i don't know the name or if anyone has given it a name, but she has to take medication for it.  she used to see stuff that wasn't there and hear stuff etc.  i was told she was always somewhat "off", but it got worse with age.  She was a loving and caring person and led a normal life up until my grandparents got a divorce.  i was younger then and don't know the whole story, but now she's in a nursing home and has to take meds everyday.  i guess she sorta "lost it" after my grandpa and her divorce and she went down hill from there.  but when she saw or heard things she trully did.  and she trully believed it.
My sister is a councilor and has been for years...she helps me alot with my four...my ten year old had some issues like this a while back and they actually were related to having alot of anxiety.....she worried so much about her dad (we seperated 5 years ago) that she couldnt concentrate on other things and then she started seeing shadows and hearing voices......So before all else ask what is on thier mind and see if they are feeling worried or scared about just anything! It may do good! Or it could be something else I am not an expert...just a helping voice!
Hello, I am wondering if you have had any updates with your child's situation. My 9 year old son recently told me that he is hearing voices. When I asked him more about them he said that he has heard them for a while now, and they usually repeat his name, just like your child. He said they never tell him to do anything bad, and are not mean to him, but can sometime be anoying. Although he does not have ADD, he does have Dyslexia, which would be like a processing disorder, and has a speech impediment. I am concerned, but think I should just monitor it for a while. Since our situations sound so similar, I am wondering what you ended up doing.
My 11 y/o has been hearing voices, says they sound really fast and he can't understand them..he has no mental disorders, does great in school and very open to me his mom about this...i asked if he felt scared, he said no most of the time he just ignores it.  He has seen his family dr. W/his dad and said the dr. Just ignored him...i'm going to take him to a different dr. And hopefully get the dr. To order a brain scan just to b sure their isn't anything like a tumor just, to b on the safe side...our family has. History of depression which i suffer from but my son who is a twin, neither have shown any symptoms....both boys r under tremendous stress with their dad and his wife, could this have anything to do w/stress..anxiety, i'd b lying if i said i'm not concerned or scared.....any help or similar stories would b greatly appreciative. ;-).  Stace
I do think any stress that children experience affects them , so is it possible to speak to your ex regarding the matter, how long are they staying with their Dad and the step mom , ?
It could be different things, so a thorougly assessment should be done. Both tinnitus, dissociation (if the sounds coming from inside) and hallucinations may be possible. Dissociations are not uncommon with stress and anxiety, and some kind of hallucinations may results from specific brain states all goes through when falling asleep, but which also may be reached when awake under certain conditions.
My 13 year old son has dyslexia. He has also told my partner and myself that he was hereing voices and the voices are saying its ok to kill yourself. He also starts by uncontrollably crying just out of the blue. After 5 mins  of talking calm to him he stops almost as if nothing has happened. We have noticed that it happens when he don't want to do something like eat his dinner or go to school. We believe that he is telling the truth . It is really upsetting but we don't show him its upsetting, as we don't want him to worry about our feeling as well as his own. we are going to seek professional help.