Child Behavior Expert Forum
11 months old, blue lips

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

11 months old, blue lips

Posted by Alissa on July 25, 1999 at 13:54:26
My son is 11 months old and for the past several weeks, his lips seem to be a blue/purple color.  I took him to the pediatrician and they did a CBC and sauid his Iron was in normal range (on the lower side)  and that his heart sounded good.  Basically gave me no answers and it continues.  Do you have any suggetions on what else can cause that?  He has been a healthy baby for the most part, no major problems or illnesses.  Please help, I am worried about him but his Dr does not seem concerned.

Posted by HVM M.D. - EV on July 27, 1999 at 22:47:47
Dear Alissa,
  Thank you for your question about your son.  Most probably he is fine.  "Blue" lips can be an insignificant finding - as long as your child's heart is normal, and his bloodwork is fine.  You mentioned that your doctor did a CBC - and that your child's iron was normal.  Did your doctor send another study looking for "methemoglobin" - which can also cause blue lips.  If not, he might consider sending this study as well as an "Electrophoresis" looking for certain kinds of hemoglobin which can cause blue color - and are benign.  It's true that sometimes the lips will turn blue for unexplained reasons - but as long as his tongue is pink - the blueness is probably isolated and not harmful.  Could your son be cold?  Is he sick in any way?  Is he taking any medications?  These are the kind of questions that come to mind.  Hope this helps.  Sincerely, Dr. EV