Child Behavior Community
11 year old daughter doesn't like to wear underwear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Can someone help me?  My 11 year old daughter doesn't like wearing underwear.  We've stuggled with this behavior for a couple of years now and soon she'll be attending Middle school.  I mentioned to her that she's going to be changing infront of other girls and she tells me that she'll just turn around.  I'm affraid that's going to crush her and she'll get teased.  She has always had a clothing issue and I'm affraid I might have added to that problem by letting her wear (making her clothes) what she feels comfortable with.  Does anybody else have these same issues?
It sounds like she has a tactile sensory integration issue. It is not too uncommon although many children outgrow it. She sounds to be over sensitive to the feeling of restrictive clothing on her body. In other words, she can't "tune out" the sensation of the clothing restricting or rubbing against her skin, so she notices it all the time and it is distracting to her. The kind of specialist to consult- if you want to- is a Pediatric Occupational Therapist. If you discuss it with her doctor you may be able to get a referral for one through your health care. Meanwhile, think about which clothing she does like to wear- loose fitting? skirts? dresses? no elastic? etc.. and try to purchase for school what she is comfortable wearing. You might see if a certain "cut" of underwear feels better to her (hip hugger vs. bikini) and also try some that is too big, not too big to fall down but loose fitting. Different fabrics may be more comfortable than others for her, too.