Child Behavior Expert Forum
11 year old girl urinating in wrong places

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a daughter that was potty trained by the time she was 2, she NEVER had an accident until she went to preschool, about the age of 4. Since then she has had sometimes frequent accidents to the point of having bladder infections on a monthly basis. I have taken her to a Urologist & a counselor, who has done several tests only to say that "she will grow out of it", there was nothing wrong with her bladder or mental state. I should say that about 99% of the accidents were urine while she has had bowel movements on the floor, or in her pants before.

My concern is, she is now 11 years old and STILL having accidents! She says she can't hold it, but it only seems to happen when she's playing outside, watching TV or playing on the playground at school, basically when she doesn't want to stop doing whatever she's doing.

But not only are the accidents a problem, but she has gone to the bathroom in her garbage can in her bedroom and even on bath towels that she has laying around in her room, but rarely has accidents in her bed. When she does use the toilet, she NEVER flushes, even after several uses, she won't flush (she has her own bathroom).

I don't know what to do, my husband says he's going to start throwing away her clothes that she has accidents in, which he has done once, but the jeans were too small on her anyway, so it wasn't a big deal, but my problem with that is, that costs ME money if I'm going to have to buy her new clothes when she has none left!

Anyone have any suggestions? We are out of options.....Thanks!
If indeed her behavior is volitional, any behavior management plan must result in it being in her best interest to use the bathroom. Where do you think you have the best leverage with her. What means so much to her that she would not risk losing it (i.e., a privilege)? There's leverage with every child - you just have to discern it.