Child Behavior Community
11 year old pooping pants all the time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

11 year old pooping pants all the time

My nephew is 11 years old.  He is always pooping his pants and he smells all the time.  His parents have taken him to the doctors in the past.  The doctors gave them medicine to give my nephew  three times a day and they are supposed to give him an enima once a day at night.  They are not consistant with the treatment so it has not helped any.  When my nephew was younger he would hold his bowels as long as he could.  What happened over time is his bowels get very hard because he holds them so long and now his colon is stretched out.  (according to the doctors)  When my nephew is asked why he does this he replies by saying he doesn't know.  He is no longer allowed a day care because he can't keep his pants clean.  I don't know what the problem is but he he is getting older and the problem isn't improving.  If anyone has some information on what I should do, or if you have some insight on what could be causing an 11 year old to poop his pants I would love to hear it.  I would love to smack some sense in to his parents but I don't know if it is my place or not.  I can't figure out if this is mental or physical.  Please help with some information.  
It sounds like the doctor was describing encopresis.  

If so,  he needs fiber.  When he says he doesn't know why this is happening,  it's because he really can't predict when this will happen.

I can't imagine parents not being concerned enough about this to follow doctor's orders!  

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/WELCOME/conditions/encopresis.html

Right up from the age of 5 till 11 I pooped my pants, I had no way of controlling it, and never really felt that I had done it until after I had soiled myself, it was very traumatic for me as it always happened at school and I never had a change of undies and noone helped me, I had to stay in those undies....I kept a jumper on most days even in the hottest weather in case I soiled to cover my lower area up, and actually thought I was blocking the smell..I didnt do it for attention and I wasnt lazy, I was a smart kid and I was happy, but I was molested by my stepdad and an unknown woman.....I believe that my soiling stems from that, today I live in a denial that it ever happened, I wouldnt wish that shame and discomfort on anyone, you can feel so alone and degraded.
I did the same thing when I was 3 till just before I tuned 5. It would happen during nap time. I knew it would happen when I watched "The Price is Right" (on 2 hours before it would happen)  and I did not want to have an accident but would still have them during nap time ( 2 year old brother did it too @ the same time) . I would get up to go to the bathroom but, I had to travel though a long hallway, the kitchen and another long hallway before I got to the bathroom. But, I would poop my pants before I even left my room. There was even a time I called my mom to take to use the bathroom but, she didn't here me and I pooped my pants. I happened once @ pre-school during nap time because I was scared to get off my cot and didn't know if the teacher would get mad if I got up(she wasnt and changed my pants). I grew out of it like some kids do).
I'll be 29 this year and hope to have two boys and two girls (when I'm ready) and help them when they have this problem. I will also help my niece or nephew (if I ever have a niece/nephew) with this problem.
My son is now 11 and still soils himself. His father and I are seperated  (5 Years) we have week on week off.  My son had problems with his bowels before he was two and was admitted to hospital before the age of 2 with queries of a bowel disease.  He had xrays and barium enimas and we had to hold him down on the floor and physically take the bowel motion out of him it was like a rock, he couldn't pass it on his own and after that he would hide behind the couch whenever he felt a bowel motion coming and we would have to do the same thing.  This has to of had an effect on him I know, I just want an answer to how to fix this for him.  His father would rather rub his nose in it, which he has done before, I know he has a problem , help!!
My boyfriends son is 10 years old and still poops his pants as well, I'm getting frustrated with it because i thought he was just lazy, after reading on this site today, i am hoping to get him help. he also don't mind the smell and the dirtyness of it, he don't try to hide it, but will lie about it being him, he tries to blame his 7 year old brother, when the smell is him and all his clothes have poop in them. I started making him clean the clothes in the bath tub before i will even wash them, i do his clothes seperate from everyone elses because the smell just don't seem to go away no mattter how much soap and bounce you use.i pick him up from school and he stinks, he told me the teacher said that the whole class needs to start wearing deoderant because they are growing, and i asked him if it was because he smells like poop and he got mad and said he don't stink. it's a every day thing, weekends he will do it 2-3 times a day and we make him shower and clean up. then within a few hours he stinks again. his bed room reaks i don't know how his brother can stand it, he is 7 and has no problems going on the potty. His brother does had adhd and is coping well, i'm lost at what to do with him. i have a 17.14. 8 year old sons myself and never have had this problem with them either,.
I am lost. My 11 year old son poops himself up to 3 times a day. He doesn't care if he is dirty. He doesn't çlean himself and change. Whenever I ask if he has he lies about it until I ask to see his underwear then he breaks down crying and says only a little, which is not a little. He has been to the doctor and been given a clean bill of health. I don't know what to do anymore. I am frustrated and at my wits end. Can anyone help me? Please?
hello everyone, my niece is 13 years old and has the same problem, poop a little in her clothes and she doesnt clean, is like she doesnt care about it. When she goes to school her classmates call her crazy and dirty because they smell her. Whatever we take her to many doctors most of them agree like this is something psycology. After many years try here and there, we find a psycology who found out the problem is call encopresis. She is working with her and the change is around 60 or 70% in less then 2 weeks. We are very happy, if this help you find more information about it.

Good luck
So far I see allot of families are having this same problem, I would like to see some answers from a professional that has really helped someone.  It seems to be more common in boys.  Our therapist says our son is showing signs of
regression.
well my son is ten and is doing the same and i am keeping everything constant with him but nothin is working with him either and i am about to pull my hair out trying to figure it out and all my doctors can say is it is a behavioral issue and i am being driven crazying thinking it must make me a bad mom not knowing what is wrong. if you find out anything please let me know too.

My 11 yr old daughter has recently started pooping and peeing in her bed, as well she has started to pee on the furniture.
What is puzzling is the effort she will make to cover it up. We recently discovered she had pooped in her bed and immediately afterwards had taken the fecal matter to the bathroom and pretended to poop in the toilet and then told us she had used the toilet.
Shortly after we discovered she had in fact pooped in her bed and took it to the bathroom.
She had recently been put on fluexotine for her skin picking and now my mother in law is saying it is because of the medication which i disagree with.
Keep in mind my 11 yr old has Global Developemental delay.
Does anyone agree that these two factors are the cause of this
Please help
    The fact that she tried to cover it up would tell me that it was unintentional.  I answered your question about the medication on the ADHD forum.
My son is eight and well needless to say the problem is the same. I have been to the doctors, first they diagnosed him with chronic constipation, then we had to take him to er for edema once. i make him do foods with fiber and take water with every meal, send him to the bathroom as often as I can but he still does it. Like you it was about just driving me crazy thinking how a bad mom I am, but his sister who is three uses the bathroom in order. So I figured we have a problem and I gotta have to support him and i know we will come to the end of this. Besides alot of prayers and crying to God who will ultimately heal him, I have recently started taking him to the chiropractor and we are going through sessions to see if this helps. It is tough but we gotta get through it, together EAW
thank you , my grandson is 11, and has been to doctors who prescribed laxatives and other medicine but my daughter who has 4 children is not consistent with his treatment, they are moving in with me now due to finances. I believe this does have a psychological aspect as well as physical and thanks to your dx I will now have an avenue to pursue. I love him dearly he has a mild form of autism and children tease him relentlessly already. He doesn't need this on top of it. Thank you again.
I have been with my fiance for going on 4 years.  Her son is in 7th grade, and at least 4 or 5 times a week he poops himself.  My underwear has been disappearing, and both of them have been saying I'm crazy if I think he's taking it.  I gave him three or four pairs of my oldest most uncomfortable pairs, but when I see new underwear gone, or soiled... his mother says I probably gave it to him.  I have bad memory, but not when it comes to my underwear.  
The son argues with her incessantly about the problem because he hopes she'll just get fed up and leave him alone.  I'm not talking 30 seconds of denial and avoiding cleaning up... He'd go on for half an hour if you let him.  It's like he enjoys laying in the ****.  The kid has taken this learned behavior and institutes it with any type of work, or delay in his fun.  He tells both of us he'll take care of it later, and lies about it all the time.  The kid whines nonstop about anything you ask him to do.  He once sat in a pile of leaves for an hour that he was told to rake up.  He'll mess things up worse to try to avoid being forced to do them.  It's impossible... just impossible.  Their logic is so screwed up.  Every time I say let me take care of it, she tries to drag my 15 year old daughter into the argument.  The sad fact is, my daughter won't even come over any longer.  The mother goes through my phone all the time, checks my emails, listens to my phone calls to my daughter, reads my texts... I just can't take it any more.  She is as bad with her behavior and her enabling, as her son is with ******** himself. She has even admitted that sometimes it is easier to deal with it another time.  She's taken him to the doctor at least a dozen times.  They've prescribed medicine, but she's too lazy to force him to take it religiously.  It's ridiculous.  If he was my son, I'd force him every damn night like clockwork.  Tonight he **** himself, she sent him to the bathroom, he came back with **** still in his crack, so she sent him to clean again.  The kid then comes back with the same soiled pants and thinks they are fine because he said he cleaned them off.  My Lord, how unhygienic can a person be.  I had to tell him a dozen times to change his pants before he finally did... and then he comes back and sarcastically asks if I'm happy he changed them.  He leaves food in all of his plates, milk in his cups, never rinses anything.  Heck, they both do that a lot with the food and milk.  I just don't know if I can stand it any longer.  His mother tries to say my 15 year old daughter is half the problem too, but she refuses to come over any longer because of these issues.  I'm forced to pick her up for dinner and then drop her off.  It's not fair to me to have to go through this.  I'm really about to just tell them both I'm packing my bags for good.  I love them both dearly, but I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.  The only problem is, my fiance is 8 weeks pregnant, and we were supposed to have been married earlier this year.  This problem, along with a few other issues, have kept us from going through with it.  At this point... I'd rather just pay another 18 years of child support.  I give up on stupid people who don't understand.  If you are too lazy to change your own actions, how can you expect a child to change theirs.  I've tried to get the mother to monitor him every half an hour, but she is too lazy.  The only thing that worked was removing his TV from his room and grounding him from that God awful Minecraft game.  As soon as he got it back... instantly a load of **** reappeared. Am I crazy, or is 3 years way too long for me to put up with this ********?  ....This is all a reflection of just how pissed off I am... I'm educated, very patient, but 3 years is a long time to deal with this type of problem... especially when I've stepped in his **** about 100 times.  The sad fact is, I work with laboratory testing and completely understand the pathogens involved in this.  They blow it off like it's nothing.  I'm a good looking guy, but all this has led to me letting myself add about 30 lbs.  I'll be 40 in March, and just wondering if I'm fighting a losing battle.  Thanks for listening to me rant.
To the parents of some of these kids. I'm not saying all are like this but believe it or not some kids enjoy how pooping there pants feels. The kids whose doctors can't explain it or have no medical conditions. Come to terms with the fact that some of your kids enjoy it. I know this because I was one of those kids. Long story short I had an accident in my pants when I was 8. I actually enjoyed how it felt and continued to do it. I have no medical issues and I have no learning disabilities. I just enjoyed it period.