Child Behavior Community
12 year old with severve behavior issues
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

12 year old with severve behavior issues

I need advice on what to do about my almost 12 year old stepdaughter's behavior.

Her history: she will be 12 in january, she lives with my husband, me , her brother, sister, and half brother.she hasn't seen or heard from her biological mother in three years, sexual abuse/neglect/abandonment by biological mother (we just found out about the sexual abuse which is being investigated), diagnosed with ADHD at age 5 and has tried concerta and strattera, had meningitis at age 1, drug abuse by biological mother during pregnancy and after.

Her symptoms/behaviors: uncontrollable stealing & lying (anything and everything), delusions, depression, suicidal thoughts, threatening to run away b/c she says she feels like we don't love her , poor hygiene, inability to concentrate, lack of interest in activities,hysterical crying over the littlest thing and 5 minutes later seems totally indifferent, anxiety, grades are failing in school even though she is in special education for all her classes, says she feels like everyone hates her, irritability, at times seems unfeeling emotionally, lack of self worth.

she had to go to juvenile services over stealing money and they recommended counselling, she has been seeing a counselor once a week for two hours and a therapist once a week for two hours, for 8 months and the therapist suggested the "love & logic" approach  but so far therapy hasn't made a dent. To quote the therapist " We are too busy putting out the little fires to address the real issues and i think she is beyond what you or I can do for her."  and he suggested trying inpatient treatment(which we are currently looking into).

i;ve been researching all the different disorders but can't find any one disorder that these symptoms point to.

So my questions are: What disorder(s) has(have) these symptoms? Is inpatient treatment a good idea? How do we go about getting her inpatient treatment? Would we need a doctor's referral?

ANY advice or suggestions or answers would be immensely appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Blank
Have you considered borderline personality disorder - co-morbid with depression, anxiety and probably other issues?  Check out the following site "*********.com" and particularly note the message forum - supporting a son or daughter suffering from BPD.  Do note the "Discussion: What can a Parent Do" and "Suggested Reading" at the top of the fourm.  So sorry ....