Child Behavior Expert Forum
13 yr old w/ learning disabilities

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

13 yr old w/ learning disabilities

Posted By Ouida on July 13, 1999 at 22:32:16
My daughter has LD.  She never has been diagnosed with anything but was slow walking, talking and all other age appropriate things.  She also has a speech problem, sensory integration disorders, fine motor coordination problems.  We have been to a pediatric neurologist. It was a waste of time in my opinion.  He made her walk down the hall once, brought her back in the examining room and preceeded to tell us that he could help her, got our hopes up.  He gave her a pill for her speech problem ( a muscle relaxer that was supposed  to loosen up her muscles) it started with a b baclofen I think.  Another medication was a seizure medication tegretol and one more.  I can't remember the name of it.  He took some blood and dismissed us after charging a fortune.  I tried her on the medicine and she was a walking zombie.  She was drooling and couldn't hardly stay awake.  My pediatrician almost died when he found out the drugs that she was on.  Mind you, she had never even had a seizure.  My question is the only thing that I can think of that could have caused her delays is that when I was in labor it took her w awhile to turn. Could that have caused it?  This always drived me crazy.  Is it hereditary.  My other two children are fine.  It scares me for them to have children.  Please answer soon.  One child is to be married next June and If there is some testing that needs to be done I'd like to know.  Also do you have any recommendations for me to help my daughter.  She has such a hard time in school and is not up to her grade level in anything.  Way below level--math 1st and 2nd  reading 2nd -3rd  spelling 3rd and she's 13.
Thanks,
Ouida
Excuse punctuation and capitals  It's late and I'm tired.

Follow Ups:

Re: 13 yr old w/ learning disabilities HVMA Ph.D. - KDK 7/14/1999
(0)

(1)

13 yr old w/ learning disabilities HVMA Ph.D. - KDK 7/14/1999
(0)