Child Behavior Community
17 year old that is a compulsive lier and disrespectful what do i do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I have a17 year old child that lives in my home. I'm not the mother but have known this child since she was born. I'm dating her dad and in the begining we stood together then my daughter and his daughter learned how to conquer and divide us against each other. Now anytime I try to talk to him about his daughters behaviors he gets very defensive and we fight. She has learned to manipulate her dad to getting her way all she has to do is cry. There is also a 13 year old in the house and she complains all the time how her dad favors the 17 year old. He is in denial about how he favors one over the other he treats the 13 year old like she is 17 and holds higher standards for her and treats the 17 year old like she is 13 and holds her to lower standards. I have tried grounding, taking all her electronics away, talking to her, begging and pleading with her to stop nothing seems to work. I put her in therapy and she refused to go. I really need some advise cause I don't know what to do any more. It is tearing me and her dad apart. The 17 year old lies about some serious things like she told her softball team how abusive her dad is just so they would feel sorry for her and like her while her dad was lying in the hospital dying. Let me say her dad has never even spanked this child or even slapped her hand. She tells the couple of friends she does have how her life is so bad and how she is treated so bad. Now let me say she has 1 friend and a boyfriend. She has lied to so many that no one likes her any more. She even went as far as telling her softball coach that she hasn't seen her real Mom in 4 years and how her mom walked out of her life. Her mother comes to get her 2 times a year pay child support and buys them all the summer and winter clothes. The 17 year old just chooses not to have her mom in her life but her mom keeps trying. I'm trying so hard to have some normal drama free life but this child is pushing me to my boiling point. My daughter went to live wither dad cause she couldn't take it anymore with this 17 year old. So I'm suffering with my children because no one wants to be around her. Please someone help!!!!!!