Child Behavior Community
18 month old and nightmares

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

18 month old and nightmares

My 18 month old boy has never slept through the night. till this day he wakes up crying, this has been since he was born. It’s like he is having nightmares. He cries uncontrollable, we cannot guide him back to sleep- it’s like he is possessed or something. I’m scared...is this normal????
He may be having night terrors which are common in children, and are usually brought on by a lack of sleep.  With these, the child is not actually awake for the most part and all you can do is make sure he is safe, and eventually he will awaken and be responsive to your soothing.  It comes down to just being with him until it is over and then you should be able to get him back to sleep.  Make sure he gets good naps during the day, so that he is not too tired at night.
I'm glad you comment, thanks!

that makes sense becuase he doesn't like to take naps during the day.