Child Behavior Community
2 1/2 year old, OUT of control

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 1/2 year old, OUT of control

My child is very out of control. He is good one minute, then bad the next. He turns 3 in January '08 and still hasn't even tried to potty train. I have tried everything possible from time outs, to light spankings and taking toys away. He throws his toys, hurts people and pets (especially pets), uses curse words (at home and in public; his favorite is the 4-letter "F" word), he throws extreme tantrums, runs off (at home and in public). My sister had a baby in April, he has hit that baby, yells at him just to scare him and will not share with other kids. He is very smart, he knows his ABC's and can count to 10 all by himself. He can go on the pot when he wants to, and his vocabulary is just as good as a 5 year olds. But, unfortunately he does not listen to a word you say. At dinner time he usually doesn't eat unless its something like hot dogs. Its like something evil goes into him and he is no longer my son and then it goes away. I am really at a loss on what to do. He is an only child and I have worked most of his life (up until recently) so I havn't really been around him. What can I do?
-6 Comments Post a Comment
He's 2 years old.  Where does a 2 year old  hear the F word?  

That's where you need to start to curb his behavior.  Get rid of whoever is so out of control he says **** in front of your baby.  

Best wishes.  Kind of.
Its too bad I can't take your advice since nobody at home uses that language in front of him. We never use that language and even with all his tantrums and bad behavior we still don't use those words.
He didn't invent the word himself,  jvw.  Someone he associates with often says that word.   Or someone in your house has the TV on and the TV channel chosen says that word often.

What about play therapy, when my son was three I did play therapy and it helped. And my son said the f word too your not a bad parent they could have picked it up at a store for all we know so dont listen to rockrose.
I have tried structure with my child but it seems that no structure is helping. I know that Bipolar disorders and such run in my ex's family. We truly don't use bad words in our house and I have tried everything my books have said. Yes, I went to work when he was 3 months old, but I saw him every day of his life no matter what. I spend all my waking hours with him if I am not at work. Each set of discipline I used was used for at LEAST one month straight and consistant. Everybody in my house (mother, husband, father) all know what form is being used and when to use it. Still, I am at a complete loss as to what to do.
I agree with teko here...terrible 2's are a fact of life for sure.  Sometimes they last for about 18 years, LOL!  
Be consistant.  Let him know WHEN he says the word(s), that they are NOT ACCEPTABLE.  Period.  Don't get mad, just stop him in his tracks...put him in the time out chair, FIRMLY.  (I think 5 minutes per year old, if I'm not mistaken)...if he hurts anyone or anything for any reason, a smart pop on the butt and a time out may be necessarry...consistancy is very very very important (aka structure).  Do this for 7 days and see if you don't see a change.  If you don 't believe in spanking, then be FIRM with the time out anyway.  Do NOT allow him up until time is over, then speak to him about why he was there and explain he will go back if the behavior is repeated.  7 days will feel like forever, but I think you will be suprised @ the outcome, and he will love you for it (discipline breeds respect!).

Praying for ya!
Yeah, kids hear these words other places. I am concerned my 2-year-old might have picked it up while we were eating pizza out! The table next to us had a bunch of teenagers using the "f-word" like it was the word "hello". You can't always place the blame on the parents. Kids aren't locked inside 24/7--well, let's hope not!

The time out is 1-minute per year of life. Good luck with that. My son thinks time-outs are fun...and purposely puts himself in the "naughty corner." He thinks it's great. I tried spanking, but that made him hit me! So, that didn't work. I am now trying consequences, like taking away toys. Crossed fingers this will help.

Lots of luck to you!