Child Behavior Community
2 1/2 year old crying at preschool

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 1/2 year old crying at preschool

Hi. My daughter started Preschool in September (it's one hour 3 days a week) and she started out fine there. She would run right in, play and never cried once. About two weeks ago, everthing changed now she cries on and off the entire time she is there and she won't say why she is sad during school. She gets excited to go, talks about it afterwards and says she had fun, but I look in through the window (she can't see me) and she is crying. I just don't get it, I'm so sad watching her cry but I don't know what to do. Is this normal? I don't know why she started out fine and almost a month into it started crying every time.
-12 Comments Post a Comment
Ali - I think I'd pull her out and try again next year.  There is something there making her sad,  who knows what.

If it's just one hour 3X a week,  that seems kind of disruptive to me.  It seems like 3 hours once a week would be better,  and maybe she'd adjust better to being there.  

If you're worried she'll miss socializing,  you could join a weekly playgroup and she'd benefit from that.  

Best wishes.
I would have to agree with RockRose that her time there is too brief to adjust and get to know everyone.  I would not wait another year though, you don't want her separation anxiety to be that much greater (but then again it may be better).  

What type of environment is it?  Is it strictly playtime for the children?  Is she joining a class that is already in session?  Or is this more of a mother's day out where all the children get there at the same time?

All I can think is that she likes the idea of going, but getting there and doing it is a different story.  My daughter  (almost 3) is the same way, she gets super excited to go to my family's restaurant and see cousins, etc. but generally as soon as we get there, she clams up for a while.  It takes her about 20-30 minutes to warm up, but then she is fine.  I think your daughter doesn't get enough time there to warm up.