Child Behavior Expert Forum
2 1/2 year old eye blinking

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

2 1/2 year old eye blinking

My daughter is 21/2 years old.  a few days ago, she began blinking, not rapidly, but hard blinking.  i notice it more when she is watching TV.  i will be taking her to the doctor in a few days to find out if she has eye trouble.  she said her eyes dont hurt, and wont tell me why she started blinking.  we dont have a family history of torets (sp).  can you give me any advice?  
Your daughter is not blinking voluntarily and she will not be able to offer you any rationale. This may indeed be a tic - i.e., an involuntary muscle movement - and it may well be benign (most motor tics are). But it deserves evaluation, first by the pediatrician and then perhaps by a pediatric neurologist. While the eye blinking could be the beginning of what may develop into Tourette's Disorder, there is no reason to think so at this point.
My son has also begun blinking excessively, and we have an appointment with the doctor - before I go in I would like to know what it is they will be looking for exactly and if there is anything I should be doing.  Also what would make you think that it would be Tourettes - would it be a combination of other symptoms as well?
My 6-year-old son has been blinking with both eyes simultaneously for about a week now, on and off.  It does seem to be worse when he's watching television or outside with bright sunshine.  At first, I attributed it to dry eyes and used eye drops on him to no avail.  
I emailed his teacher and asked if he's doing it in kindergarten.  He isn't.  So, now I'm really confused and wondering if we should just ignore it or take him to an optometrist, his pediatrician, or someone else.
A related discussion, Son thinks something is in his food was started.
A related discussion, Eye blinking was started.
A related discussion, Is excessive blinking in toddlers a worry or not? was started.
A related discussion, excesive one eye blinking in toddler was started.