Child Behavior Community
2 1/2 year old won't eat!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 1/2 year old won't eat!!!!

my 2 1/2 year old son barely eats...somehow he seems to be mantaining his weight so far though.  What is weird, is he won't eat ANY meats except for hot dogs or bologna.  He won't eat grapes or spaghetti all of the sudden now...it seems like he wants to eat it but texture seems to make him stop..i know all kids go through this but his seems extreme.  maybe this is fine...but has anyone else gone through this?
Oh Heavens, YES! It's maddening! My 27 month old son, suddenly (months ago)  has an adversion to all fruits and veggies (which he used to gobble up) and all meats except pork (only center loin cut). Then with the pork...only maybe 6 little pieces. Yeah, it seems to be the texture too. When he DOES try it, he makes an awful face and takes it out of his mouth. All he wants to eat is pasta and biscuits. Mine too is maintaining his weight. As active as he is I don't understand how he can keep going on such little food. His doctor told us what to do BUT when I told some family what we were doing, they were appalled. So I am a bit nervous about telling anyone again. But it is actually working! Our son is extremely stubborn and hard-headed (comes by it honestly cuz me and my hubby are equally as stubborn and hard-headed).
Hi there!  Oh I do feel for ya. This is so normal for kids though. They do this kind of thing on and off throughout their childhood. I don't know how others deal with it, but for me, I simply didn't allow my daughter to play the picky game. Now, don't get me wrong, this simply won't work for some kids it just depends on how stubborn or set in their ways they are.  But when my daugther, would refuse to eat , especially when it used to be something she loved but stopped loving, I would simply tell her,  "please try a little of everything on your plate"   " if you really really really don't like it , then you don't have to eat it, but you have to be honest with Mommy about whether you really like it or not". Then I would tell her "  but , this is what we are having for lunch/dinner today, so you can eat it all up yummy, or we can save it for later, and I'll reheat it for you and you can eat it then,  but Mommy's not going to fix you something different."  Any kid will eat when they get hungry enough.  I have found that kids, if you let them know clear boundaries, and tell them, that simply put, this is what's for dinner, and there are no bones about it, then generally they'll eventually eat. But like I said, kids are different and some may not respond to you laying down the law.  I am happy to say that my daughter is 10 and will eat almost anything , barring anything like road kill or organ meats, which I have never asked her to try. (who wants to eat that kind of gunk? ;-)  But I guess every parent and every child is different, so I hope you find what works for you. This is what worked for me,   I have a 6 month old son, and don' t plan on letting him be picky either,,,,,  we'll see how that goes!  hehe...  
my boys are very picky, my 21/2 year old says everything is hot or he doesn't like it.  my 4 year old just started eating this year.  dinner is the worst.  breakfast they eat frozen french toast. it works, i know it's everyday, but they like it.  lunch turkey & cheese or bologna & chese.  i know it's everyday but like i said it works.  i tried to be creative and it never worked so i gave up after many frustrating days.  i never give them milk until they are almost done with dinner because they would just drink and then be full..  if your son only likes bologna let him eat it until he is over that and try something different.  my son loved pizza now i can't get him to take a bit.  another trick that worked have him make his sandwich.  asked him cut up in squares or triangles. sometimes that makes it fun too.  chicken noodle soup with goldfish crackers, mac and cheese the ones with characters, spagettios, yes i know not the most healthy but give them vitamins and good luck, hope this helps another struggling mom...