Child Behavior Community
2 year old cries at night for no reason

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 year old cries at night for no reason

Help my 2 year old cries at night and there is nothing that I can do to console her sometimes she will throw her self around the bed and cry other times she just cries.wont tell you anything.when we go away to a hotel sometimes this happens I am always waiting for us to be kicked out.I also need to explain that she is adopted but I have raised her since she was 9 months old and she use to sleep though the night it is just as she has gotten older and if you try to tell her to quit or shhh her she gets louder and will sometimes scream..its very difficult for my older child who she shares a room with can anyone offer any help
Sounds like night terrors and may need the help of a specialist.

Or she could be two and naughty...

Good luck.
Sorry I ment her.
Hey.. My son has done that in the past. It usually happend when he was really tired and had not gotton enough sleep the night before. Our Ped. said that was the problem. When kids are exhausted they have nightmares and don't sleep well. Do you do naps? Try giving him a good nap and get him to bed at a decent hour and see if that helps. It did in our case.
Hi, My DS from time he was 18mon till he's was 3 did the same thing. I turned out to be night terror's. According to my Ped. there isn't really anything you can do. The best thing to do is to stay by them till it is over especially if there is jerking about going on, so they don't hurt themselves. The real way to know if it is a night terror is, if you can't wake them or they never wake up during the terror. They don't usually last very long, but they can be fregent throughout the night. I was pg with my second DS during all of this, so I know it is hard. Around 3 is usually when they stop. If you are really concerned just call your Ped and see what they say. Hope this is helpful. Brandy
I agree it sounds like night terrors. My daughter had the same problem. The best thing for her was routine, routine, routine for bedtime . We would start an hour(start at 6:30 for bedtime at 7:30) before bedtime and start with washing up picking pj's and a story book, and finally she would go threw everyone in the family and ask if they were ok and she would drift off. All this and I had one older and a new born! If we were late getting started or we were not at home were she was used to her surroundings watch out I would pay threw the night. No one in the family believed me until they saw it for them selves at the cottage in the summer time. As long as we followed the routine she was fine. I found unwinding her slowly for bed helped. Hope my story helps!
My daughter does this when she needs to wake to go to the potty, or when you wake her up before it's her time to wake up.  She won't tell you why, she has no reason, there aren't any nightmares and she often wakes our 1 year old (she is 3).

The only thing we can come up with is that she just does not function well without enough sleep and the annoyance of waking to use the toilet is more than she has the patience to handle at her young age.  If there aren't nightmares going on, I would suspect lack of sleep.

Do try talking to her in the daytime about it.  I know they're not real easy to talk to at two...but you'd be surprised how much they will say ;)
I have a two year old and sometimes i spend a night on and off all the way through waking with him crying.Often it will happen alot in one week.Lately it seems to have lessened.I changed tactics.I think before he could sense my tension when he woke because we have a small house and he'd wake everyone up so i'd tell him to be quiet gently but he'd just scream louder!So i stopped doing that and i'd just sit by him as he wouldn't let me console him and i'd wait until he wanted me to cuddle him and go back to sleep.It would take a while at first maybe an hour.I think because i'm not trying alot to console him or doing much at all except be there he's become more relaxed and generally sleeps better.he seemed confused and he didn't seem to know what he wanted and in fact i think he hadn't wanted to wake up but had.Also i think if he doesn't  go to bed early enough it made a difference.also quite often my son is hungry(he's not a good eater) and he gets tummy ache and that's been it.Maybe she would be better with her own room, less chance of disturbing your other child until this stops, they all go through phases and sometimes we are none the wiser.
Did  someone take a blood test from his baby? My sister said it can be  the glicemic problem, and if we do something about this(with food ) it can be rezolved