Child Behavior Expert Forum
2 year old not sleeping in bed

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

2 year old not sleeping in bed

My two year old daughter will not sleep in her own bed. I have tried standing at her door and putting her back in bed, last night was the worst so far from 8:00 to midnight standing in the doorway putting her back in bed when she came to the door. She ended up falling asleep on the floor in front of her bed. I have a night light in her room. When she was in a crib she slept with no problems, the reason why she is in a toddler bed is because she was climbing or rather falling out. She come and crawls into bed with her father and I during the night as well. I don't wake up when she climbs into our king size bed. When I have asked her why she doesn't want to sleep in her room in her bed she has said that she's scared. I don't know what else to do, I cant keep staying up all hours of the night just to get her to sleep in her bed and I can't have her sleeping in my bed all the time because nobody gets the sleep they need.
Tags: 2 year old not sleeping, sleeping with parents
Unfortunately, from a developmental point of view she is not really ready to be in her own bed - this is true of many two-year-olds. They should still be in a crib (likely with raised sides). However, you are beyond that. So there is no substitute to 'biting the bullet' and sticking with the insistence that she remain in her bed. You will lose sleep - that is part of being a parent and helping children through the various developmenatl challenges. There are no shortcuts. If you have decided that you do not want her in your bed (I thinkt hatis the best decision), be sure you stay faithful to that. If you permit her to come in, even once a week, for example, you'll perpetuate the problem.
Tonight she was asleep by eleven in her bed but still just as tiring. Any ideas?
It sounds as if she may still need to be in a crib.  A crib tent will keep her from climbing/falling out.
She went to sleep in her bed first try last night for the first time. Still woke up with her in our bed but she didn't come in there until an hour before time to get up. Life is looking good.