Child Behavior Community
2 year old twins not talking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 year old twins not talking

Two year old twins, actually they'll be three i believe in october so their 2 and 1/2 ( a boy and a girl) Ive babysat for arent talking much, they do know some simple words like hi, bye, momma, daddy, ball, water, cat, dog, clock, ears, eye, no (for nose) and they certainly know how to say NO!!!!and they of course know what it means. But thats about it! The boy says much more then the girl does, she babbles alot, talking in baby talk, I have no idea what shes saying. I think they might be spoiled because they always point and say "EH EH EH EH" when they want something and when they dont get it they have a tantrum. I always sing the alphabet to them and count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and they'll say 2, and 3 with me. My cousin who just turned two in feb, says the whole alphabet and says much more then the twins. Now, Ive heard that because their twins they talk to each other, and so they take longer to start talking, but I mean how much longer? I think if the parents spend a lot of time teaching them, then they would be talking by now, right?? what do you think?? Is this normal? I hope they start talking soon, im starting to get worried for them.
It sounds as though they may have some speech delays if they're 2 1/2 and they only have a dozen words. Many children with delayed speech have more frequent tantrums because they can't easily make their needs known. If you babysit for them again, try to teach them some simple requests. For example, try to teach them the word foe water and practice having them say it. Then ask them to say it when they want it and before you give it to them. If you're not a very familiar person to them and if their parents don't do that, they may get frustrated. If they try give them a lot of praise. Then, you can slowly try to get them to say two words together ("water, please"). Gradually make it into a sentence ("I want water, please"). If they don't respond over several weeks, then they probably need professional speech and language therapy. You're a good babysitter!
I agree, you are wonderful for being concerned!  I also agree with the above, teaching them a few basic things... saying it often, showing them often and maybe even a game or something.  

I don't know about twins, but you seem to know that they are slower at progression than individual babies.  I suggest you mention it politely to the parents, tell them you would like to help them learn to talk a little more and see what they say.  It might be touchy to come right out and say "hey, your kids are slow...they need a therapist" but you know them better than we do.  Try to find the nicest way possible to ease into it.  If nothing else, they should be happy that you are that concerned with the development of their children! :) God bless you, and good luck!