Child Behavior Community
2 year old with attachment issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 year old with attachment issues

Hi. I have a few concerns about my 28 month old sons behavioral and attachment issues. Lately it seems as if I can't even leave the room or walk around my vehicle to get in without him losing it. If he notices me missing he goes into a meltdown that doesn't stop until I'm in his site again. He's always been attached to me because I'm a stay at home mother but would let me leave the room or the house only crying for a few minutes. When we are at a restaurant, if I get up and litterally walk 2 steps without him it's a screaming fit, but if I step back and pick him up to take him with me he starts screaming for his father. Recently he has to see and be with both of us. He also has attachment issues with different items. For example, when he was younger he went through a stage that you couldn't take his pants off without him throwing a fit. Then it was his jackets, then his shoes, and now it's his sippy cup. Are these normal stages for 1-2 year olds? He is also having a huge problem potty training. He throws a huge fit when you sit him on the potty. We've tried several different things and different potties but nothing is working. Should we wait until he lets us know that he's ready?

He speaks very well, learns very fast, follows commands, and holds eye contact with you but I can't help but feel that there is something wrong with his attachment issues. Autistic?
Very normal behavior for his age.  I worry about the children that don't form any attachments.  As far as the potty, wait for him to decide when it is time for him.  I have learned from experienced, that you cannot force the potty issue.  The child will go when the child is ready.  I have four children with my youngest being 4.  She still at times has a hard time letting me go to work and such.  Young children like having their parents there all the time. It is their security.