Child Behavior Community
2 year old won't fall alseep in her bed by herself or take naps fo...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 year old won't fall alseep in her bed by herself or take naps for sitter

Hi- I'm new here and hoping someone can help.  My daughter is turning 2 on Thursday and for the passed few weeks she will not fall asleep in her bed by herself, I have to lay with her until she falls asleep and she'll wake up at like 3 or 4 am calling for me. Since she was 1 she has always fallen asleep on her in own in her bed, I mean she would pretty much sprint to her bed at when it was night night time :-( Also, she will not nap for the sitter anymore, she just doesn't want to be left alone. Is this a phase, Is this something that will pass???? Please say yes!!!  She doesn't want anyone holding her either except me. This all started about 3 weeks ago. Thanks in Advance for your advice!!!
why does she have to nap for the sitter she is getting to the age where she will need less sleep, l;et the sitter play with her,she could be waking at 3 and 4am because she doesnt need that much sleep. What time does she go to bed, it isnt her routine its yours and the sitters that needs some adjusting her behavior is normal,if you feel she still needs a nap at 2 make it a short one, you dont say how long a nap  it has been with the sitter, but some games and playing may mean she will sleep better at night for you. Routines change as children get older some will still sleep a lot but some do not need it, check out the hours she sleeps.
Margypops- I am thinking the same as you, that she's growing out of taking naps, but the babysitter says when she lays her down she'll scream bloody murder and I said well she doesn't have to take a nap, but the sitter has quiet time for the older kids and she said that's fine if my daughter wants to sit in with them and watch tv but she's not quiet and I was thinking well of course not, she's 2!!!  It just really frustrates me that every time I pick her up she tells me how she screamed because she wouldn't lay down or be quiet during quiet time.  I also don't understand why she's afraid of her bed now and won't fall alseep by herself. Thanks for your opinion :-)
Also Margypops, her bedtime is anywhere between 8:30 and 9, always has been for sometime now.
my little one just turned 2 and still needs a 2 hour nap. In my experiences with young children, most 2 year olds still need a good nap. Heck, most 3's still take a nap, and half of the 4's I've worked with regularly require a nap.

It's actually more likely that the child is over-tired rather than sleeping too much. You may want to research that.

However, this specific situation sounds more like behavioral rather than too much or too little sleep. She's 2 now and very aware of everything around her. Of course she would rather not nap, especially if the other kids aren't. IS there anything you can send to soothe her? Special naptime music or a special stuffed animal?

at night, is she still in a crib or is she now in a big girl bed? has that transition happened recently? Has ANY changed happened recently that would effect her?
It took us a little bit of work to get dd to go down on her own in her big girl bed. For a few nights, we laid with her, just to get her to understand that it was a place for sleeping. Then, we graduated to spending a couple of nights at the foot of her bed while she fell asleep. After a couple of nights, we did that but left while she was still awake but drowsy. Within a week, we were able to transition her to the point where she would lay down and talk herself to sleep. She still asks me to lay down every night, and I simply tell her I have to go wash dishes or clean the livingroom. She accepts that answer, i guess cause it's nothing fun that she would want to do.

i realize your situation may be different, and your child's temperament may be entirely different. But I am a huge fan of trying to break bad habits like this gradually instead of cold turkey, and it has always worked very well for us. It's also how we got her to fall asleep in her crib on her own instead of with a bottle. If she calls for us, we do respond with an i love you or a nite-nite. We don't want her to think we're not there for her. The calling for you in the night should fade out once you conquer this problem. She is probably calling for you because of the lack of ability to self-soothe right now, and some insecurity. Also, be sure to have a regular routine so she knows exactly what to expect at bedtime. A favorite lullaby CD helps many kids. Once a predictable routine like potty, brush teeth, story, lights out, prayers, music on, hugs, etc... is established, she will be more likely to accept bedtime again.
Hi Tiredbuthappy-  We put my dd in a big girl bed at 1, actually a full size bed, she moves around so much in the middle of the night that she was waking herself up by knocking into the side of the crib. She loved, loved, loved her new bed and ran to it everynight when we said night, night time, she'd grab her puppy and blanket and kiss daddy good night and I walked with her into her room, no problem. It was like that for a year and alll of a sudden BAM, she doesn't want to lay in there by herself. Oh and we do have side railings on her bed so she doesn't roll out :-)  Her 2 year molars are coming in and that's about all I can think of that is different. It has always been the same routine, always. I am hoping it's her molars or another phase she is going through. Thanks for responding back to me :-)
The main point here is as you pointed out yourself she doesnt want to take a day time nap, she screams so whether others children sleep during the day at 3 year old and still through the night is irrelevant , do they play with the children aswell ask the sitter if she can read to your daughter instead of TV or a nap, maybe take her outside instead .or into another room.
Oh yes they play outside a lot and do different activities.  Actually my main concern was her not wanting to fall asleep in her bed by herself anymore.