Child Behavior Community
2 yr old head banging

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

2 yr old head banging

when he gets mad & doesn't get his way he'll head bang on anything that's close, floor, crib, door
anything. What to do?

This discussion is related to child banging his head.
I just wrote a question similar to yours.  My son is 2 years old and has been headbutting for a year, only in his crib.  It is noisy and I can't get him to stop.  I think he does it when he can't get to sleep.  Did you get any answers to your question since you last wrote?
No..I didn't get any answers as yet. I think he does it for attention,
My 16 year old does this when he doesn't want to go to sleep
I meant 16 month old...
I babysit for a 2 1/2 year old little boy he has been banging his head for about a year and a half now he only does this when he is going down for a nap or going to bed at night. I told his parents that I was worried about him and that they should tell the doctor about it. The parents told the doctor about what he does and the doctor told them that he is just learning rhythm. That made a little sence to me when he was 1 but now that he is older and has been doing it for so long I still thing there is something wrong.
It can be an immature response to frustration.  I don't think it is too uncommon.  Especially when it happens at naptime and bedtime.

My son would do it by getting down on our wood floors and banging.  My son has now been diagnosed years later with a developmental delay called sensory integration/processing disorder.  If your children play extremely rough and have "crashing'" and "bumping" as part of their play (and I mean a LOT of it)---when they are 3ish, I'd read about sensory.  

Until then, I'd just do what you can to protect them and they will probably grow out of it.  They have such few ways to communicate and that is one they've found.

Still not fun to watch.  Good luck.
I have 3 children and I can only remember my 2 boys doing the head banging thing. Usually when frustrated or extremely tired. But there are times that my 18 month old does this just for fun and tries to get a reaction from someone. I kinda think it's a boy thing but it could also be done by girls as well, but all of the boys in my family have done it. My oldest son done it for a long time, maybe 2 years, but he eventually stopped. As long as they aren't getting hurt, I'd just leave it alone and pay no attention to it. Try to redirect them to a different activity and distract them if possible. I hope this helps.