Child Behavior Expert Forum
20 month old 1:30 a.m. Tantrums

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

20 month old 1:30 a.m. Tantrums

My 20 month old son began having pretty lengthy tantrums about three weeks ago where he throws himself to the ground, pushes us, pulls, kicks and throws things when he is triggered by being told no in some way. I can handle them okay during the day, but lately he is waking up from a dead sleep, yelling for us and screaming until we come in. I was with him in his room for 10 minutes-changed his diaper and when he stopped rolling around on the floor kicking he wants to read or play or leave his room. This obviously isn't an option at this hour (now 3:08 a.m.) but when I tried to put him back in his crib he started the screaming again. My husband is in there now I think lying on the floor by the crib but my son is still shaking his crib rails although he is not yelling.
I don't want him to feel abandoned but don't want to do this every night-it lasted three hours three nights ago-we are exhausted. I should also mention I am weaning him but he didn't even ask me for milk when I went in. We are down to two feelings per day and just yesterday he had one. He is drinking milk from a cup and actually has a sippy of water in his crib that he finished and I refilled.
Any advice or insight you have is greatly appreciated.
It's not a good idea to give him any drink in his crib. The goal is for him to fall asleep on his own, with no asistance (including drink, pacifier). If he wakes during the night, let it be. If he is having a night terror, he's not fully awake and all you need to do is guide him gently back to sleep. Absolutely do not wake him up.