20 month old with anger issues?
My 20 month old son throws terrible tantrums.  Not just the crying, I didn't get my way type fits.  He will actually hit, bite, and completely lose it sometimes when he doesn't get his way.  If I tell him no about something, he will sometimes go and hit the dog.  When I tell him no, he does it again.  Is this normal or is it something I should be concerned about?  We have tried spanking (not beating, spanking), time out, redirecting and almost everything else I can think of.  He usually just looks at you and continues to do what he wants to do anyway.  Or he'll get out of time out (usually 5 minutes) and go right back to doing it.
If he needs to throw a tantrum, let him.  Simply stand back and observe, so that he doesn't hurt himself.  If he has done sometime wrong that deserves a time-out, then he has to stay in time-out.  When he gets up, he needs to go back to time-out.  You are the parent and he is challenging you.  It is his job to do so, and it is your job make sure that he doesn't take over the household.  I don't really think spanking helps anything.  You need to be firm and say in a loud voice that you do not do this.  Setting limits should start very young.  It is important that if he is throwing a tantrum and not hurting anyone or the dog, let him finish with his tantrum.  If he has not thrown a tantrum and deserves a time-out, then he must finish his time-out.