Child Behavior Community
20 month old.. with no words

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

20 month old.. with no words

My little girl is 20 months old. She is sweet and loving but I am very worried that something is wrong. She has no words not even mama. She makes good eye contact, plays well, babbles a lot, gives me lots of hugs and kisses. She isnt as out going with my parents or other people for that matter. I am a stay at mom so I dont know if that has anything to do with it? She seems bright to me.. so I just dont understand why she wont speak real words. We are going to have her tested, but they said it could take months to get her in. Im to stressed to wait months. My mother thinks she has a form of autism, because she does not wave bye bye or point. When you tell her your going bye bye she will give you a hug and she does reach for things she wants. What do you think could be wrong and what should I be doing before she can be tested?
Was she a quiet infant?  If so, what it could be is that her muscles did not get enough use and they are weak.  My daughter I noticed was having difficulty talking.  We had a speech therapist from the school district come in and work with her.  It did not cost us anything even though we are middle class.  The therapist blew bubbles with her and got her to excerise her lips.  Also, she doesn't have the tie under her tongue, so she can stick her tongue out and touch her tongue to her nose.  The exercising that the speech therapist worked with her on really worked and she was talking in no time at all.  
Here's another option - have you considered "developmental verbal apraxia"?  If you google this term, you should get lots and lots of hits re this issue.  My nephew suffers from this (he is five years old now) and has been getting speech therapy since two years of age.  He is doing so well and early intervention is the key.  I wish you the best ....