Child Behavior Community
21-month-old son rarely imitating words

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

21-month-old son rarely imitating words

I always talk to my 21-month-old son like an adult, asking him what he wants and teaching him words like mommy and daddy, but he still doesn't call us when he wants something. Is there something wrong wih his learning abilities? Should I be concerned about this or is it just another "boy" thing?
Tags: learning
Have you had your sons hearing checked?  Is he babbling?  Does he say any words?  
Hi... Yeah he babbles a lot.. He says da-da most of the time. He says some of the letters when i teach him the alphabet, and he says wee for green when he points to green things.. He's already memorized all of his books, and when i mention just one sentence to him from a certain book, he stops what he's doing and listens for the rest of the words. Oh, and he hears just fine. I'm concerned that he won't learn any more than what he already knows... And when I teach him new things, sometimes he shoves them away and won't listen.
I am no doctor but to me his development doesn't sound off.  He sounds like he is where he should be.  It is great that he can identify green too. At your son's age his attention span is very short.  I am not surprised that he will listen for a little while and is then on to something else. Children develop at different levels and on their own time schedule.  You may want to look online at the development of a 21month old child.  If you are still concerned ou may want to talk to your pediatrician to settle your fears.  If that doesn't help you can then call ECI (Early Childhood Intervention).  They will come to your home and screen your child.  Hopefully, you are just worried for nothing.  However, as a mom of three kids I usually go with my gut and if something worries me I call our pediatrician.  My feeling is that it's always better to be safe than sorry!! Good luck!
thanks.. that made me feel a whole lot better. and it helped me a lot. he's actually participating in singing Old MacDonald now.