Child Behavior Expert Forum
2.5 Year Old Twins Won't Sleep
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

2.5 Year Old Twins Won't Sleep

HELP!!! Our 2.5 year old twins have never been great sleepers, but they have been absolutely terrible in recent weeks.  

They share a room, sleep in toddler beds, with a monitor that has a white noise function that lasts about 20 minutes.  They have a longstanding bedtime routine and generally go to bed without any fuss or problems falling asleep.  However, one or the other is usually up at least once before midnight.  Then I hear them multiple times throughout the night. Most times I can reactivate the white noise function and they will fall back asleep.  However, this still interrupts my sleep several times per night.  Other nights, one or both children will wander downstairs silently and attempt to crawl into our bed, which is followed by either screaming fits when directed back to their own beds or kicks to the head, stomach, etc. if we break down and allow them to sleep with us.  

It's not usually both children.  They seem to alternate, one sleeping soundly through the night while the other prevents me from any meaningful rest.  My wife is a VERY HEAVY sleeper, so she rarely hears them or recalls the nighttime shenanigans.  However, I am really starting to feel the impact of sleep deprivation.  Please help!
242606_tn?1243786248
If space allows, the most straightforward approach is to separate them and have different rooms. This current situation is an invitation for problems. Second, absolutely do not reinforce them coming into your bed. Even if you do this intermittently, it is a powerful reinforcer. It's important to bite the bullet about that.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank