Child Behavior Expert Forum
3 1/2 year old shy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

3 1/2 year old shy

My almost 3 ½ year old daughter is extremely out going and almost hyper at home and around people she is familiar with.  She goes to daycare and loves to play with her friends.  As she has been getting older we have noticed she is getting more shy in situations where she does not know people.  If she is at a party and knows half the kid, but not the other halk she looks nervous and does not want to play.
We recently signed her up for a dance class and she does not participate.  She will usually go into the room, but sometimes sits in the corner and simply watches all the other girls.  We had her in other classes when she was 2, but my wife or I were always in with her.
I am not sure if I should “force: her to go into the class if she does not want to, and once she is in how to encourage her to participate.  The instructor is encouraging with her, but cannot only focus on her as there are other kids.  We have tried going early, but again once she gets into the class she looks nervous and will cry or not participate.  She seems very sensitive as well, (like if another kid walks in front of her in line).
Again if she knows the group she is out going.
Thanks