Child Behavior Community
3 year old not pooping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

3 year old not pooping

My 3 year old son has been holding his poop in. I had to use an enema and then he went on his 2 days later and then he held it in for 11 days. Now hw is sooo gasy and will not go!!! He went pee the other day and then he acidently let the poop out...It hurt him so bad he freaked..Now "I have to use another suppository and it petro of that...It is sooo hard for him to go and I feel sooo bad... PLS HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tags: 3 years, bowel
Take him to his pediatrician. There are specific stool softeners that are given to children with this problem -- it makes it more comfortable for them to go. Many times children start holding it in because they have a painful bowel movement, and they attempt to prevent the pain from occurring again. Of course, the longer you hold in stool, the harder it becomes, so when it does come out, it can really hurt!! A self-fulfilling prophecy./

The medications that can be given will really help break the cycle.
i hold my poop in too and i am 10 and the reason why i hold mine in is cause it hurts sooo bad and i am scared to go it hurts really bad..and yea i do get gassy to but it hurts sooo bad and it just scares me so i hold it the longest i have ever held it was for 2WEEKS!just cause it hurt soooo bad!but that person is rite when u do hold it it geets bigger and hurts even more!it's not fun!
my son held his also . the dr. said if kids are not having a bowel movement in 2-3 days max bring them in my son went 10 days and he was admitted. they gave him go-lightly through a nasal cannula for 3 days untill he was cleaned out. not he is on meloxacan for 6 months. i fell bad wish id would of known now. dont make my mistake take your kids in ASAP
We had a poop holding episode once. I know how difficult this can become for a parent. His episode lasted 2 weeks, and was resolved with a daily dose of laxative/stool softener. His poop became so liquid that he once pooped on the bathroom floor. Once he realized there was nothing to be afraid of he went back to normal having no toilet issues and no need for laxatives whatsoever.
Talk to your pediatrician, start with the easiest, probably a higher dose of laxatives might help before the enema. Don´t beg him to go to the bathroom, when you see he has an urge suggest he may use the toilet.
Also might help: lots of movement, exercise,
to have him drink a reasonable amount of water,
a diet rich in fiber (fruits, veggies, whole grain cereals).

And try to be cool and calm as to aid the child and opreventing this from becoming a more serious problem.
My oldest son has suffered from chronic constipation.  We never went the stool softener or laxative route as I was afraid to start down that road---------- instead, we have had tremendous success with fruit juice and fruit.  This was the first line of treatment given to us for our son after an episode in the hospital in which he was so compacted he was in misery, vomitng, etc.  His whole bowel was blocked (trying to convey how signficant my son's issues were).  They gave us paperwork after the professional enema he received upon discharge.  They strongly suggested pure grape juice.  My son has grape juice every day along with plenty of other liquid.  We cut back on dairy and watched things that are known to constipate a child.  This has worked and has kept my boy regular.  good luck