Child Behavior Community
3+ year old pooping in pants- at wits end!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

3+ year old pooping in pants- at wits end!

I am hoping someone out there can offer some advice because I have been at my wits end for months!

My son has been in underpants for 9 months. Peeing on the potty has never been an issue. He happily goes pee when he needs to, often doesn't even ask just goes on his own. He wears undies to bed and wakes up completely dry on a daily basis.

However- poop has always been an issue. What started as constipation has grown into a full blown behavior problem. His GI has reassured us that he is no longer constipated- takes Miralax every morning and poops are soft. His problem is withholding and then pooping in his pants. The habit that has developed is that he feels poop coming, he hides and squats and lets a little out. THEN he tells us he has to go but by then his undies are dirty and when he sits on the potty he says he "no longer has to go" even if he sits for a while so we change into clean ones and he goes on his merry way. This then repeats about 10 times before a "real" poop is actually made- hold in, let a little out, change undies, over and over. It is infuriating. This happens at home and at preschool.

Since February, we have tried everything in the way of rewards for poop in potty, not undies: stickers, charts, prizes, extra computer time, extra tv time, cool underpants, everything. Positive reinforcement does not seem to motivate him. We have also tried not letting him do something UNTIL he poops: no tv, no dessert, etc. He couldn't care less. We have tried ignoring - figuring the attention was what he is seeking- but this did not help either. Making a big deal for positive or ignoring negative seems to have the same result- it gets better for a week or so, and then back to the bad habit.

The only things we have NOT tried is going back to pulls up, which I do not want to do b/c I think at his age it's confusing and enabling- and simply letting him be dirty if he goes. Up to this point, I always clean him up when he poops in his pants. Today his teachers suggested letting him sit in dirty undies for a short time before changing him. I am willing to try anything.

I know I need to "let it go" but it's very hard when your entire life revolves around your child's bowel movements. I can ignore it all I want, but when there is poop in his pants and all over the toilet seat, I can't exactly pretend it's not happening. I am hoping someone (or many others) is going through the same thing or has survived the same thing and can offer some advice.