Child Behavior Expert Forum
3 year old son hits himself

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

3 year old son hits himself
The past month my three year old son has started hitting himself. When i ask him why hes doing this he replies "I like it". Ive tried telling him that he shouldnt hit himself that hes going to hurt himself, but he dosent care. He is not angry or frustrated when he dose this it just comes out of nowhere. We have also tried ignoing it thinking maybe he was just wanting the attention, but he dose it even if he thinks were not looking.
Your approach of ignoring the behavior is wise; continue with this a while longer (e.g., two weeks). If the behavior continues, place your son in time out when he hits himself. Now, I say this with the assumption that he is developing in a normal way. Is that a correct assumption?
Yes he is developing normally. It just worries me that he thinks its funny, and he hits himself as hard as he can.
You'll be best off by basically ignoring the behavior. Drawing attention to it will likely just serve to encourage it.