Child Behavior Expert Forum
3 year old son hits himself
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

3 year old son hits himself

The past month my three year old son has started hitting himself. When i ask him why hes doing this he replies "I like it". Ive tried telling him that he shouldnt hit himself that hes going to hurt himself, but he dosent care. He is not angry or frustrated when he dose this it just comes out of nowhere. We have also tried ignoing it thinking maybe he was just wanting the attention, but he dose it even if he thinks were not looking.
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
Your approach of ignoring the behavior is wise; continue with this a while longer (e.g., two weeks). If the behavior continues, place your son in time out when he hits himself. Now, I say this with the assumption that he is developing in a normal way. Is that a correct assumption?
3 Comments
Blank
Yes he is developing normally. It just worries me that he thinks its funny, and he hits himself as hard as he can.
Blank
242606_tn?1243786248
You'll be best off by basically ignoring the behavior. Drawing attention to it will likely just serve to encourage it.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
2 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank