Child Behavior Community
3 year old speach & jibber jabber

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

3 year old speach & jibber jabber

Why does my 3 year old answer your question with Jibber jabber?
She also doesnt talk very well but I can undersand her & most of my family can understand her.
but she is bad to pretend to answer the phone & start jibber jabbering & it is so Serious like she is speaking her own language. She can say words but mostly (IF SHE WANTS TO)
If you ask her what is this she will tell you if she know
where is your nose or where is what ever she can show you.
Now she just turned 3 & does not go to daycare, my Mom keeps her.
is it normal for her not to know her Colors or ABC's & is NOT interested
most of what Abby does or says is When Abby want to. I cant get her to do much as far as learning.
How ever from listen to us Count she trys to count missing some numbers.
& I have finaly got her to sit with me & let me read a short book to her. YEAH

I have 2 older children & when they were this Age the picked up things more quickly.
& easy to get them to listen or try to learn BUT not her.
She does have a diffrent Father than the 1st 2 so I keep telling my self that I've got to expect a differance.

Now What do you think should I be Concerned with her Development or Speach ?

Take her to your pediatrician and voice your concerns to them. They will run a battery of tests on her to find out if she is developmentally delayed or not. They can also refer you to the appropriate medical doctors or counselors to help you out with this issue.
aleardy took her to the pediatrician at her 3 year old apointment & my concern was that she didnt want to pay attention to me or let me take time with her to read to her or to talk about colors or like if I ask her "what is that?" she will ignore me or say "no"
When the pediatrician ask "her who's that on you shirt" she just started talking in her jibber jabber, but is know of in our family for the babys, toddlers to do this type of jibber jabber talk so I thought nothing about it. Then the Pediatrician ask her "What color is your Shirt?" her reply was "color" so from that the Pediatrician recomened me to get a preschool Speech Evaluation, in which we are scheduled for in Feb. but I would like to know if anyone else has had children do this & outgrow it, because my 2nd cousin did this & he is 4 now & talks just fine. but still stubrun & doesnt want to take time to learn.
Just like Abby!  So I still think it is something she is gona grow out of. I have acomplished getting her to let me read her books & discuss "what is this or What is that"  so she can learn what things are. but her talking is still not clear but I understand is.
my son did the same thing for awhile.. he eventually got so bad that he wouldnt listen to anyone, he didnt know colors but he did no his ABC's. we started taking him to preschool and the teachers also noticed somthing but they thought it was a learning disibility at first... long story short we found out that he was practically deaf. i took him to an odologist and he had almost no vibration in either ear, and the dr said that this can cause the them to talk funny even though they dont realize it becuase it sounds right in their head when they say it. also it can look like a learning disibility because they get so angry about not being able to hear that they act out and choose not to do what they should be doing.
my son went in a had tubes put in his ears and hes a totally different kid... almost no more tantrums, and he almost always does as he is told!

good luck!!
so was you son hearing just not well ?
I know that Abby hears me cause when she want to cause I can ask her
do you need to go potty ? she will say, yes or no
I can ask her what a picture of a cat is & she will say tat for "cat"

but sometime she just doesnt want to play my whats this whats that games LOL

I think its something she will grow out of because My husbands Mom also said her kids did that some.
& on my side of the family is the little boy that has out grown it.

Hope so, but what ever it it we will handle it with Gods help

Thank you for your comments

Angel
sorry i just realized that u responded to my post... yea my sons hearing was horrible, when i had his hearing tested he failed four times... he ended up with tubes in his ears and tonsils and adnoids out all at once!!
he did very well for about a month and now its back to square one so either the tubes are plugged or hes got a learning disability.
he is going to meet with a phychitrist, a speech therapist, an occipitanal therapist.. and a list of others to find the problem and hopefully we can get it fixed before he gets any older!!

to luck to you it is so hard to deal with children that act out i no im at my wits end with mine!! but like you said we can handle it with gods help!!
I know you posted this sometime ago but what you describe about your daughter is exacty the same as my granddaughter who will be 3 in August.  I just wondered how your daughter is and did she grow out of the jabbering.  My daughter has been worried about my granddaughter and she has been diagnosed with delayed speech.
Abby is doing much better, no more jibber jaber & she is speaking in sentences sometimes her words are mixed up but atleast we are getting somewhere. She is thaking Speach therpy which I feel has been a great help. the only thing she is be diog, with is Speech Delayed. She answers questions beter now, and comunicates with us.
The thing she is having torubles with now is WH Questions (Who What When Where)
Thanks for replying to my comment.  I'm glad your daughter is doing well.
My 2 yr old grand daughter is normal, and holds a conversation with jibber jabber.  She will look you in the eye, speak as an adult, answer the cell phone but pure jibberish language.  She has spoken a few single words but mostly all jibber.  She will sit and talk to you, having a conversation about an object she shows you but in her own language.  My daughter is stressing.  Hearing tested 3 times, excellent test results.  I say she is normal all the way but her speech.  The dr wants to test for aspegers/mild autism because she is  not speaking.  I say speech delay because she functions normal....I do not want her labeled autistic if it is not.  She listens, shares, dances, colors, reads in her words, and understands you fully.  She just jabbers.  Sept., she will be 3.  Just sharing ....
They will not label a child autistic if she is not, so I would not fear testing. Based on your current description, it sounds as though there may be a language delay. These are not uncommon, and if detected and treated can often be helped.
It is very encouraging that she does everything else you say. The pediatrician is probably just being cautious. They have checklists that indicate which children may be more at risk of developing autism. Doesn't mean they will- just brings a little more attention to those children and they are carefully watched so if any other symptoms do develop, they can be handled appropriately. Some mild forms of autism don't present many symptoms that are noticed by family until after the age of 2 or 3. In retrospect, they may look back and see that subtle signs were there all along.

So, I wouldn't stress about it, but I would follow through on the pediatrician's recommendations. Don't fear labels- I personally have not encountered any children who were labeled as on the autism spectrum to have it later discovered that they weren't. A full assessment will just highlight which areas of her development should be watched and helped. If something IS there, a diagnosis at this young age gives hope for a much better outcome.