Child Behavior Community
3 year old won't stop arguing with me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

3 year old won't stop arguing with me

My daughter who will be three next week will not stop arguing with me.  It is compulsive, passionate, and frustrating for both of us.  I am a single mom and a preschool teacher.  I have to make a conscience effort not to argue back with her.  She will argue about such simple things: that's not an apple, it's an orange (no really it's an apple): it's sunday!!!! (no, pretty sure I'm the one who can read the calendar and it really is monday, now put on your shoes we have to go to school).  It has been going on for about 9 months now.  She started talking in complete understandable sentances at about 16 months old.  She is bright and cute, and knows it unfortunatly.  She is the light of my life, but she is driving me crazy.  I do understand three year old behavior, I have a BA in ECD, and what she is expressing is excessive and uncomparable to children her age.
She would'nt be able to argue if you do not  feed into it, your conscious effort needs to be more ,have you tried distraction, get her doing something else when she is like that, truly it does take two to argue ,if she thinks an apple is an orange okay dont say anything back, she will learn as she gets older that it isnt. Your Daughter is probably aware that it is getting her more attention, so focus on her positive side, and let go of her talking back. Good Luck
I have an 11 year old step-daughter that tries this kind of arguing.  Do not argue back.  You are putting yourself down to her level if you argue back.  She then is in control and moves up to controlling you.  Something you don't want to happen.  I would not argue, just laugh it off when she tries to get out of going to school. Kids are funny, have fun with her while she is still a kid.  
Do not argue. Just it run its course. It is a control thing