Child Behavior Expert Forum
3 years and 7 months old - emotional & behavior disorders?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

3 years and 7 months old - emotional & behavior disorders?

I have a grandson who is 3 years old and 7 months.  In 5 months he will be 4 years old.  He comes from a dysfunctional situation......his mother was diagnosed with schezophrenia...his father in my perspective has no parenting skills....his father is  raising my grandson as a single parent.  My grandson really has no stability, routine, or structure in his life from the immediate adults who are his main caregivers..which I think is contributing to his negative behaviors.  His behaviors include frequent temper trantrums, continuous whining,,  demanding for things he wants and screaming for things when he wants them, aggresiveness with both children and adults. It seems like he is always angry...what seems like little or insignificant things will send him into a dramtic reaction.  He seems to swing from either being happy or being very miserable. Once someting upsets him,he is 100 percent committed to being unhappy and miserable.  He,has his good moments, but they are far and few and in between. Most of the time his behavior is inappropriate and bordering on just plain obnoxious.. He also refuses to get potty trained, and still drinks from a bottle.  I don't know whether to attribute these behaviors as part of a develpmentally normal stage in preschoolers or whether he may have ODD or some other childhood developmental delays, or childhood emotional issues.  How can I be sure and how are childhood developmental issues diagnosed?