Child Behavior Community
3 yr old speech problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

3 yr old speech problem

My husband's mother thinks my son has a form of autism. His speech is a little behind I will admit, but I do not think it's that serious. Some days he talks just fine. I can understand everything. But some days and apparently almost everytime he talks to her on the phone, he talks like a baby. You can't understand anything at all but the last word. For example, blah blah blah box. blah blah blah play. But most days here at home with me he can ask for cereal, chocolate milk, drink, crackers, play, i want that (and points), don't want it (puts his hand up like a stop sign), etc. It's the days when he seems to regress that worry us.
Hi,  there is great variability in speech among kids age 3.  Some develop speech sooner than others.  However, it is really not a good indicator that YOU understand him as you live with him and most parents (especially the mother) do understand their child.  I use to say "I speak 3 year old" when I interpreted for one of my son's.  The usually criteria is if others (actually strangers) can understand what a child is saying.  The goal by 4 is that 90% is understandable by strangers (again, not you.  It isn't unusual for you to understand him.)

With that being said, on the phone is always tough.  My nephew is 5 with no speech delay at all and it is hard for me to understand him on the phone.  I'd keep my expectations on that low.  However, if your mother in law has trouble understanding him in person on a regular basis then he might have some articulation issues.  

He may outgrow that and he may not.  Do you have him in any school type settings?  That is always a good place to see how a child is doing.  Most kids with speech issues have some issues with playmates as it is harder for them to communicate and play.  By kindergarten, all kids in the US are screened for speech in the public schools.  If you are concerned, you could call your doctor and be referred for a speech evaluation or go through an evaluation through your local school system now that he is three.  My older son was evaluated for speech concerns at almost 4 and the speech pathologist concluded he would self correct as his articulation issues were all within normal for his age group.  If they hadn't been, we would have started speech therapy.  It never hurts to find out. (in my opinion.)

Good luck------  
Thanks for that. I do not have him in daycare. My mother watches him for free. Can't beat that! I just feel that my mother-in-law only seeing him 3 times a year and then telling me that he has a speech problem is a little overboard. She talks to him until he responds to her. And normally he doesn't want to talk to her anyway. But, I am ready to get him checked out. My husband thinks it's his fault because my son fell down the stairs. Before he fell down the stairs he was ahead of his age group. He seems to have hit his reset button. He now acts about like a two year old at age three. But like I said, I am ready to get him tested and see what's going on.
I think you are making a wise choice.  An evaluation will either ease your mind or help you know the next step.  It is just more information to factor in about your child and information is always good.  Good luck-----