Child Behavior Community
4 month vaccinations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

4 month vaccinations

My four month old granddaughter had her 4 month vaccinations on Monday.  Up to that time she had been very verbal, cooing and just being very vocal and she had started trying to roll over from her back to her stomach.  But since she received her vaccinations she is not doing this anymore.  She still smiles and responds to us and she cries when she's hungry, etc.  But she doesn't seem to be trying to make those cooing, oohing sounds she was making and she doesn't try to roll over.  Could this change be related to the vaccinations?

This discussion is related to four month old not sleeping well.
The chances of her behavior change being related to the vaccines-- in the very short amount of time you have mentioned-- is almost nil. If you are concerned, please contact the dr who gave her the vaccines and get her examined.
How is she today,  Belinda?  Any change?
I called the doctor's office today and the nurse said that the changes we've seen should have nothing with the vaccinations. She went on to tell me what the usual side effects are which I already knew. When I saw the baby today she was lying down and proceeded to roll over to her stomach just like she'd done before.  I was really happy to see that but she's still not as vocal as before.  If you cooed to her before she'd look at you and start making sounds back at you like she was mimicking you.  Today I tried and tried but didn't get much but mostly smiles from her.  But since she did roll over to her stomach today I'm optimistic that this is only temporary.
I'm so glad she's improving!  She may just be feeling under the weather (maybe a slight cold or teething) or maybe her leg was sore from the shots, making her not wanting to roll or move too much.
my dd went through phases like that. i'm glad i recorded each new sound she made, because sometimes she'd do it for a week, and then we wouldn't hear it again for over a month. she started these behaviors around your granddaughter's age. she's probably just exploring sound and communication, part of which is sometimes simply observing and listening. it was weird. one week she would go through her dadadad phase. then a cooing phase. then a "let's be as loud as we can" phase during which we couldn't hold a conversation. then bababas, then quiet, etc... each phase could last a day, a week, a month. chances are that's what she's doing, and it's a sign she's learning about communication and her world around her.
i forgot the raspberry phase. that one came around a couple of times. instead of babbling all she did was blow raspberries. be prepared to change her shirt during that one :)