Child Behavior Expert Forum
4 year old Potty issues - refuses to do anything to help!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a 4
If your son is well medically, you'd do best by remaining patient and support his gradual mastery of this developmental task. By adopting a punitive approach you are essentially insuring that a 'control issue' develops. Now, I can't predict that your approach will be fruitless, but punitive approaches re: toliet training are not to be recommended. They tend to reflect parents' frustration and anger more than anything else. Perhaps you can settle for a reward system whereby your son is rewarded by receiving some little item (e.g., party favor-type item) when he is successful. Or, if he favors a particular television show, for example, he can 'earn' access to that show by success in his toileting regimen. The latter is a bit heavy-handed, so to speak, because he also won't have access to the show if he has accidents. Also, be sure that he is not constipated and having impacted bowels. He probably does not, but don't assume it. At his age, if a child is 'ready' to accomplish toilet training, the most frequent reason to delay is fear of the pain the child experiences. This doesn't sound like it's the case with your son, but I wanted to be sure to mention it.
I do not agree with your assessment of the situation.  We have tried for months and I do mean months, to support our son in his growth of going to the bathroom.  He is at a stage where he does not care if he goes in the potty or not.  To him there is no punishment or at least one that is big enough, to make him desire to go to the bathroom in the potty.  We have him clean himself and change the poopy himself and that does not bother him on bit. You suggested that we take the TV away or something along that lines of punishment it would help the situation.  We have taken the tv away, and we have for a two week period, he just simply forgets that he wants to watch it and goes and does something else.  While I am happy that he does not watch TV I am frustrated that the punishment does not have any real effect on his desire to try to go to the potty.  

At this time my wife and I are set on this course of action and we are starting to see small results.  We have had two days of no accidents and also two days of a small amount of poopy going in the potty.  Both times we have celebrated this event and our child seems to be happy.  He does understand now, and I think that we can see some change in him, that if he has accidents he will lose items that he treasures and that he has total control to get them back.
Time will tell if things improve. You may be inferring too much re: the extent to which your son is consciously directing his actions in a particular direction. Your message implies that 'he is doing this on purpose'. This is not usually the case with such young children; they don't as a rule have that type of conscious deliberation. Rather, they are somewhat impulsive and very oriented toward immediate pleasure. If you assume conscious, deliberate motives you will tend to personalize a situation which really isn't personal.
When my kids were young they never really had this problem they loved going to the bathroom feeling like that made them big lol . But i did watch this show once and this little girl was still pooping in her pants also what they was told to do is when she did go in the bathroom , make a big deal out of it , make it fun for her , like everyone jumpimping up and down singing how big he/she is . Maybe reward him with something he loves everytime he goes
You're story is very similar to mine!!!  I have a 5 yr old still pooping in his pants (sometimes 3-4 times/day).  He has never been completely trained for poop. When he was 3-4 we left him in pullups because we hated to clean up the mess in his underwear all the time.  But he has been in underwear (except at night) for a long time now.  He often poops in his pullup after we've put him to sleep at night and he doesn't seem to care...never gets out of bed to clean up.  Sometimes we will clean him up and then he'll wake up in the morning with more poop in his pullup.

His pediatrician has examined him and said their is no physical reason why he shouldn't be able to poop in the potty.

Last summer, I even started having him wash his own poopy underwear to see if that would help...it didn't.  

He always seems to start the poop in his underwear, then he'd say he couldn't get to the bathroom in time.  He used to yell for us to wipe him up,but we would never rush to clean him up.  Then we tried not wiping him up at all. We told him he had to clean himself up even if it took getting into the shower.  This has not worked either.

We've tried rewarding him, by keeping track of "clean underwear/pooping in the potty days" on a calendar.  He could earn a toy/trip to Toys 'R Us.  This didn't work either.

We've also tried not allowing him to play downstairs (where most of his toys are) and kept him from playdates.  This hasn't work either...but we weren't very consistent with these...SO now my husband and I have decided we have to stick to our word and he isn't allowed to play downstairs or have playdates.  We've even put a sign up on the frig to remind him/us and at the same time he's keeping track of clean underwear/pooping in the potty days on a calander.  It's been four days so far and no luck, but we're going to keep trying.  

If we don't see any change in a few weeks we'll probably speak with a child psychologist or gastroenterologist for suggestions.

LIKE YOU WE ARE AT OUR WITS END!!!!
Momof3boys- I hate to say this but it is nice to hear that we are not the only ones with this problem.  We have been down that path and still on the road for this issue.  Just this morning I had a long talk with my son
Yes, it sure is nice to know my husband and I aren't the only ones going through this crazyness!  We've been going through this for so many years and I don't know how many more times I can wash my sons dirty underwear.  His clothes smell every day and now his bedding is often smelly because he'll poop after going to bed or after waking up in the morning. Also, we often finding poop on the floor!  It's just grossing me out!

Have you heard or read anywhere that this could be a psychological problem that we're dealing with?????  Friends and family tell me that it isn't and that he has total control over this, but somedays I wonder if I'm punishing him for something he can't control. My husband and I both have a history of mental illness in our families (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder/Anxiety/Manic-Depression) and so I can't seem to get that out of my head lately that this may be related somehow.  Any thoughts?
I am by no means a doctor so I am not sure when it comes to the family history.  For my son I think that it is a control issues.  Not a physical control problem it is just a general control issue.  My wife is a teacher and I am project manager for an Internet company.  We both have work lives where we control everything and we are both controlling people.  So I think that this problem for our son is manifested itself  because of his need to take back some of the control that he feels he needs.  He is doing this not because he does not know the problem or simply how to fix it, he does it because he feels like it gives him control over us.  It is something that he and only he can control and if he gives it up, then he might feel like he has nothing to get back at us with when he is mad.  

Again I am thinking this is our problem and maybe one of the many possibilities that your son is facing also.  We are going to see a new doctor in the next few days and see if my thinking is on track.  If it is we are going to see how we can help our son feel like he is more in control of his life so he can give this problem up.  

I feel your pain about the time, effort and embarrassment we are both going thru over this problem.  I will sign off with this note.  One day last week we had a particularly bad day with our son and this problem.  Here is something I wrote to my wife about another way to look at this problem.  It might help you some it might not but it has helped me view this issue another way

Hello Keith,

Hope things are going a little better with the 'potty training'!  Has anything seemed to be helping with your son?  Or anything that you tried that didn't work?  

In my last comment I mentioned that my husband and I set some rules with my son...no playdates (over our house or at a friends house) or playing downstairs (which is where most of his toys are) and he cannot have candy,cookies or chips.  We tried this in the past and it didn't work, because we never stuck to our word and would make many exceptions.  This time we have stuck to our word and he now knows we mean it and we're not changing our minds!  He has a calander that he keeps track of days that he keeps his underwear clean/poops in the potty (Sticker) and days that he poops in his underwear (big red X).  

It has been almost a month now.  About 2 weeks ago he got 2 stickers, but that was only because he held it in for 2 days.  The past 3 days he has finally got stickers and has successfully pooped in the potty 1-3 times each day.  I have him sit on the potty before leaving for school...after lunch...and in the evening.

The rules have been very hard to stick to because it's sort of a punishment for my husband and I because he sits and plays at the kitchen table most of the day and wants all our attention, because he is not playing with his brothers downstairs or with friends.  BUT he knows we're not changing the rules until he does what he needs to do.  

I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist in a few weeks to rule out any physical problem, but I'm hoping we won't need to go if he keeps doing well. We're using lots of verbal praise also throughout the day...reminding him how proud we are of him..this seems to help.  

I sure hope things are going better for all of you! Hang in there!!!

Teresa
I happened upon your postings and wondered how things are going for you two.  My daughter will be 5 at the end of April and has all the sudden started pooping in her pants too.  Like your sons she does not care what other people think.  Once she said that "she felt like it" when asked why.  However, she has been using the potty for two years now and has never had a problem pooping in the potty.  I do think it is a control issue and I do feel she knows exactly what she is doing.

I just wonder if things have improved for you at all.  Like you I am at my wits end and can't help but think something is wrong.
Hi, I just found this website. I have been reading everyones comments on this issue. My son is 10 yrs. old and we are having the same problem. It started when he was being teasted at school by his teacher and then was refused when he saied he needed to use the restroom. He had to go and have a tube put up his nose and into his stomache cause he refused to go to the bathroom at all for 1 month. He refused to take medicine to make him go poop. The doctor said now it is a sign of laziness and/or a control issue.We have been dealing with this for almost 5 years. I have tried everything except extreem consistancy. I had to stop working in order to really get this to work. Now that I have read some of the ideas. I am going to try something new.  The one that really stuck out to me was the one about taking a toy away from him and keeping a calendar. I am going to try that.  I am so embarressed that I do not want to take him anywhere. I do not want people to know about the problem. I am afraid that they might think bad of me. Thanks for being here and for your willingness to post these horibbly embarressing journies. Again I thank you. I really need this.
I don't feel so bad that my just turned 3 year old won't poop in the potty...lol!
Oh how relieved I am to have read your postings.  My daughter is a VERY bright 6 year old.  We have always had issues with her going poopoo on the potty.  She gets very upset when we talk to her about it saying "I already know that I need to go on the potty, you don't need to keep talking about it".  She says that she has "accidents" because she can't get to the potty in time or she didn't want to stop playing because she's afraid she'll miss something.  It does not seem to bother her to have poopoo in her panties.  She has not worn pull ups since age 3.  She has no problems going teetee on the potty.  She can go on the potty when she wants to (not sure if it's timing or what exactly).  She has in the past held it in for so long that we had to go to the ER because she was so backed up.  We now give her probiotics once a week to help keep her from getting so constipated.  We too have done everything from rewarding her, to putting toys in "time-out" until she earned them back by going on the potty, we've tried calendars and stickers, etc..  But, nothing seemed to phase her.  We discussed this with her pediatrician, who simply stated that it was a control issue and we need to not make a big deal out of it at all.  Just when she has an accident, simply clean her up without saying anything at all and send her on her way.  Nothing is helping.
Well I tried taking bigger things away. We even made a chart for what wil happen days clean days dirty. Nothing of that sort is working yet. The cleaning of his own things is finally taking toll. He wants to wash them in nice warm water in the sink, but he is not allowed to. He has to wash them in the cold water of the towlet. The other thing, he is not allowed to go to school unless his clothes are clean the night before. He has had 2 times he almost lost out on school. The councelor thinks this is a great idea. It is making him responsible for his own actions. She told me, "You did not make the mess, you do not clean up after him". So if he poops he cleans his own. I think we are getting somewhere. The last 4 days he has been waking up more times than not, clean. Hurray!!! Finally some improvement. The one thing he had to go through was, since we washes his own clothes, he had a reaction to the laundry soap. He used too much. I would tell him how much to use and not too much and he would not listen.. So he had to learn the hard way. He now uses the laundry soap more careful, and he does not have a reaction. Anyway, one thing I was promised, from a friend, "Think about it, he is 6 years old, don't worry. When he gets to be 8 or 9 it will be long over". Well it is not long over. But we are making some headway. We stopped the medicine I had to cram down his throat or hide in his other drinks. He would through a fit. I found out he loves raisins. So raisins it is. They do the same thing only without the screaming and the big fight.
Thank God things are getting better.
My 4 year old has been doing this pooping stuff too.  He was very easy to potty train and was completely trained by the age of 2 1/2.  Even at night time, with the exception of an occasional accident, normally my fault for letting him have too much too drink too close to bedtime.  This has my husband & I extremely frustrated.  Today the preschool called and said he's had an accident every day for the last week, he's never done this at school, just at home.  And today it was twice.  The poop has actually been falling out of his pants and kids have been stepping in it or even more disgusting picking it up because it looks like marbles.  I just don't know what to do.  He just gets angry.  We take things away, toys, tv. playdates.  Nothing seems to phase him anymore.  AAGGHH!!!!  What do we do.  Do i revert back to diapers or what? HELP
Seems like we all have the same problems, but not many answers.  Very frustrating.  It's good to know that we're not alone though.  I felt sure by the age of 4, then 5, then 6 that this would be long over, but here we are still dealing with this.  I wish everyone all of the patience that is required to deal with this very frustrating, sometimes embarassing, issue.
OMG! I am thrilled to find this site. Tonight I was at my wits end and while my 4 year old was screaming on the toilet I decided to dig online and see if there was anything or anyone who can help me.
I have a little girl who does not want to go poop on the toilet.  She has done the deed two times and I couldn't believe that huge amount came out of her little body.  For a brief dive into her past- when she was about 8 months old we noticed she was holding in her BM's and we couldn't figure out what was going on, then we realized that the rash and all the pain she was having was from her being lactose intolerant.  She constantly had tummy aches and soreness on her bottom she started to refuse to go.
Since this we have had a terrible experience with toilet training her doctors have given us advise on everything stating it might be a traumatic experience for her to pass a BM and that she might remember how painful it was. To having med's. We've had her on a teaspoon of mineral oil for months at a time, currently using a 1/2 tsp. of Citrucil hoping that it will help soften her up.  We have had her checked and she is completely full of poop, and the doctors tell us that she might have a more serious issue if she doesn't go.  Do you think it's bad to give a enema to a child? I don't know what else to do.  I wonder if it would give her that jolt to get over her fear because it would just all come out wouldn't it?
On the other note after reading thru everyones comments- now, besides all the medical isssues I'm thinking part of it is starting to be a control thing becuse I get the "Okay mommy." when it's time to tinkle....but i get "Mommy, I just don't want to sit on the toilet anymore, my legs hurt and i want to get off." when it's time to poop- or try to anyways. Also, on days when we try the underware thing, she hides and I find her in a pull-up with poop in her pants. I'm frusterated and I don't know which way to go next! Any more ideas?
To:Bee2 - Is this preschool you talking about located in a school setting or a private one where the restroom is always open.

My reason for asking is when we lived in Missouri ,The preschool my daughter had a restroom always available.When we moved to Alabama , I picked my daughter up from school with wet pants, (the first time I thought to busy playing and had an accident.)But the second time I picked her up and she was wet you can bet we had our outs with the teacher.Come to find out our daughter did not want the punishment of standing against the was during recess. If they had to go to the restroom when they were not suppose to they would have to stand against the wall and miss 15 minutes of playtime.And you can bet we never had the problem of our daughter using the potty in her pants again.(This school knows us well enough to know , not to fool with our kids)Oh I forgot to mention that our daughter started walking at 10 months and was potty trained by 12 months.All by herself.

Ok , My sons are another story.LOL Little Keith is 4 and he is progressing fast these last few months.Sure sometimes he pees in his pants as he sleeps,(But that is accident) He does not want to wear diapers and he says he is a big boy not a baby. Kids master things when they are ready.You can't force them,only heartache for you and the child.Let the child lead for awhile, show them support when needed.My boy don't want a toy for pottying he does not want much at all.All he wants is me to say I love him and he is a big boy.
Im glad Im not the only one having this problom. My 4 yr old son does not want to try to go to the bathroom. We have tryed since he was 2 and he doesnt care..he has been punished and dont care.  He goes t school or grandparents house, but not at home. Can anyone help please??

Lisa_lou
Just a thought, but milk allergies can cause frequent accidents in the poop department.  Unexpected where did this come from can't believe it accidents.  One mom was talking about her child starting to poop in his pants and then trying to make it to the bathroom, having had issues with milk allergies, and not figuring it out for ages, brought this to mind. Milk with a bowl of cereal, a cup of icecream, direct related milk products brought on urges that were uncontrollable to an adult and left this granny running to the bathroom.  When I stopped milk products and bulked up on foods I learned to trust the impulse feeling one is suppose to experience to signal potty time, if you know what I mean.  So perhaps with your little guys you could bulk up their foods a little and hope that the urge gives them the time to get to the bathroom.  Our oldest finally learned, he too was a very busy little guy, who would forget...we used to let him drop uncooked brown pinto beans in the toilet while he sat on it.  He liked the plop plop sound the beans made, it was only when he dropped a matchbox car in the toilet that we had to make sure that he understood tht it could only be poop, toilet paper, those silly beans or pee pee that the toilet liked, anything else made the toilet sick....it worked for him.  Now our two year old grandson that is a different story....he calls everything poo poo, even those little toots! And delights in grandpa's gassiness....he even brings grandpa a diaper and says poo poo when grandpa passes gas, so we hvae some potty training humor going on in the house again....but we do remember your frustrations expressed.

So this summer, we are starting wtih the shorts and no diapers, and those old pinto beans,  and doing it the old fashioned way, running inside every 30 minutes of so to feed the potty!  Sounds silly but you know, it worked before.

Never until this moment gave it a thought about how many pinto beans we flushed! lol or what our toilet lines must have looked like! lol  Good luck to all of you.
Thank you for sharing your stories!
My 4 1/2 year-old is not poop trained either.  Highly intelligent, but says he doesn't have to go.  I don't even think he realizes after he poops.  Sometimes I change his soiled pull-up and he didn't even know he was poopy.  If I try to sit him on the potty he cries that he doesn't have to go.  Yesterday I asked him if he knows how it feels when he has to poop?  Or if he can tell when he is going poopy?  He said, "No, what does it feel like?"  I was very surprised.  I did my best to explain these sensations.  
Sometimes I let him sit in poops because I know he will just be poopy again in 5 minutes.  I am tired of ridiculing from big brother (14) and grandma saying "I can't believe that!"

I am hoping this will end soon.
Hello all.  I've been away from this site for quite some time now.  I like to come back to it once in a while to see how everyone is doing with their children and their pooping in the potty issues. Sounds like some of us (those names I mentioned)are going through very similar things with our children.  As frustrating as it is for us...I do have to say that I feel a little bit of relief when I hear that others are experiencing the same problems that my husband and I are going through!

BEE2.....you mentioned your that poop falls from your sons pants at school and children pick it up....you and I have much in common.  We are always finding poop on the floor (in the house, outside, at friends houses). Yes, its like little marbles. This is extremely frustrating!

As I mentioned in previous posts we tried so many different things from rewards, punishments, calendars & stickers.  We are extremely frustrated and exhausted with this whole issue (our son is 5 1/2 now).  My husband and I have just gotten to the point where we don't make such a big deal about (most of the time) and make our son clean himself up the best he can even if he has to take a shower.  

I firmly believe our children has some type of psychological issues going on and we are going to have to be very patient with them and somehow get them the proper help that they need.  I will be calling a pediatric psychologist today to get more advice.

I think we are all going to need each other for our own sanity!   THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR POSTS!
I just wanted to share that I finally got my four year old to poop in the potty and not a diaper (he has been on Miralax for almost 2 years).  I put the diaper in the toilet just over the water and left him to sit on the potty.  This worked twice yesterday and I am keeping my fingers crossed.  This is the first time he has ever gone on the potty.  We couldn't even get him to sit on the toilet without a fit.  I hope this is the answer.  We took him to a specialist and everything medically was fine.  I guess it was a control/fear issue.  Maybe the security of the diaper will help someone else out there have some success as well.
How long did you use miralax before the pooping was consistant? My daughter has been on this for 3 weeks now and we haven't seen any pattern yet. Any sugggestions?
My husband got a call at work today from our 5 year old's kindergarten teacher.  She told him that she discovered our son has been peeing and pooping on the floor in the bathroom.  I did not believe it when he called me.  When I sat down to talk to out child he admitted he has been doing so.  When I asked him why, he stated, "I thought Mrs. S wouldn't catch me". First of all I could not believe what he was saying.  He is a smart kid, and has never had problems in the bathroom.  I told him that was not a reason why and he told me, "I wasn't thinking".  Now he is so smart he gives you the answers he thinks you want to hear.  So needless to say I still have no idea why he is doing this.  I hope someone can help!
At first he fought off the miralax and we were not great about giving it to him everyday...he has to have it everyday in order to go once a day.  We give him about 1/2 the dose prescribed to keep him going everyday.  Like I said, it has been well over 1 1/2 years of miralax.  I started giving him soy milk too because I read that constipation could be from an allergy to the protein in milk, not the lactose.  My advice is to definitely keep up with the miralax.  I wish I did this earlier.
I spoke with a child psychologist recently and we discussed this issue of our children pooping in their underwear.  My son is 5 1/2 and she suggested making the responsibility of "clean up" completely up to him (i.e. washing his own underwear, cleaning up in the bathroom after himself, picking up the poop off the floor and cleaning the floor, stripping the bedding and putting it in the wash when he poops in his bed and leaves it smelling).  My son often poops in his pants before falling asleep, in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning while laying in bed.  Therefore, the bedding stinks!!! I am tired of washing it over and over and over...I have told him he can no longer sleep with his blankets simply because I cannot keep washing them.  He sometimes complains of being cold, but oh, well.  We'll see if this helps.  

Hope things are getting better with all of you and your children.!!!
I am also very glad to have found this website.  Our son is going to be 4 years old in 2 months and will go pee fine but when it comes  to poop...................
He was doing really good, going poopy on the potty, then all of a sudden he reverted back to pooping in his underwear.  He held it in for 4 days then we gave him an suppository and he pooped the biggest poop!  Then held it again for 3 days and we did the same thing.  Our pediatrician prescribed him enlose(a laxitive).  That was helping,but now he goes little bits 6 to 8 times a day and all in his underwear!  He will sit on the potty fine,but it is always after the fact.  He starts prek in August and he HAS to be poopy trained before school starts or he can't go.  I hate to have that kind of pressure on him.  We have tried everything that has been mentioned in this chat.  Right now we are doing the; if he goes in his underwear we take a toy (that he loves) away and if he does go on the potty then he can pick which toy he wants back.  It does effect him, but he is still pooping in his underwear.  The nurse at the pediatricians office said he should be going at least once a day and that he may skip a day which is normal, so I don't know if the enlose is working or not.  I know everyone is trying to figure this one out and I pray we all find a way to show our kids how.  I have a friend who's son is 2 1/2 and goes poopy just fine on the potty and has been doing this since he turned 2.  She said she did nothing fancy,just explained how it works and where it goes and he does it.  Thanks for listening.
I have to say, it's disheartening to have found this site... this is such a widespread problem that I'm sad to see it goes on for so long and with no SOLUTIONS!

My almost 4-year-old has been on Miralax since January, pee-trained perfectly, and now I'm in danger of having to find another preschool/daycare. I love where she is, but they just won't let her into the class for her age group because she poops in her underwear/pull-up. My husband and I are both employed full-time, and completely frustrated and there is pressure all around us now.

On Wednesday we went to a child psychiatrist who recommended that we leave her in a pull-up, take time off work to spend with her, and take the pressure off. Just have rewards if she DOES go, but no big deal if she doesn't. Also, give her more choices all around (we already do!). Well, from the looks of this board, nothing's going to change with this method, and I only have next week to figure something out.

Tonight my mother-in-law said that her sister's daughter had this issue. She solved it by having her spend a couple of days naked; no diaper, no undies. Has anyone tried this? I'm willing to go there... I have a feeling my daughter will not poop on the couch or the floor.. and we only are giving her enough Miralax to keep it soft, not liquidy.

Your thoughts??

Your thoughts??

Your thoughts??

Your thoughts??

Your thoughts??
Whoops. This site was having issues when I was trying to post. I'm so sorry for posting 3x.
I have the same problem as you all!!  My son is 4 years old and I am at my wits end as what do to.  We have seen a paed for the past 12 months, we have been in hospital with a naso-gastric tube for two days and I have tried rewards, punishiment and a calender on the fridge.

my son talks about going to the toilet and how he does it, flushes and washes his hands, but he just won't actually do it.  My doctor doesn't think he needs a psycological test.  I to have given up work to help him get thru this but I am running out of patience.  we recently moved to the country and now he has a great teacher who wants to help me with this problem instead of pushing my son aside.  we have started a new routine of putting him on the toilet morning, lunch and after school but for the past few days he has done poo's in his pants only 15 to 20 mins after this!

I have taken away his toys and put them on top of the fridge so he can see them there but can't have them.  After a day he had forgotten about this.  Recently I took him to the shops and let him look at toys etc, he choose a Batman Bedspread and Batman shoes.  I said he could have these when he goes and does poo's in the toilet but this has not worked either.  I am finding myself getting cross at him, as we know it is not a medical problem, but I know I shouldn't do this as all the books say not to.

Please help me anyone who has anything different.  I do like the idea of leaving them naked for a couple of days as we live in a warm climate, but this could prove difficult with school and my eldest son plays sport on the weekend, but I thnk I will give this one ago.  What a great website I never knew so many people were dealing with this problem.  now I know my son isn't an ailen. LOL.
Good afternoon everyone,

I had no idea that this thread was still up on this website.  I was checking something online and found the thread again and was astonished to see that my question now had over 26 responses to.  Glad to hear that people feel they are not alone, and trust me when I tell you, we are not alone.  I am glad to report that my 5
One other thing.  After reading thru all of the other statements above it seems that everyone has questions about the Merilax and how much to use and how long it will take.  What the doctor told us was that with Encopresis the colon because very large and the child no longer has sensations when they have to go to the bathroom and when they don
It was comforting to find this site after just typing into google. "my 4 year old won't poop in the potty" and your comments appeared. just to mention I have a 7 year old daughter who potty trained completely at 2 1/2 even at night and has had relatively no accidents since. I didn't do anything different with my son and he has just potty trained pee. He will be 4 on July 31st and just will not go poop in the potty. We have done reward charts with stickers, we have taken away priveledges, and like you said he just accepts it and goes onto the next thing. I have never made him clean his underware but I have actually let him smell the stinky mess. He gets upset when it causes a rash and we explain to him that if he would go on the potty he wouldn't get a rash. Then he promises next time he will do it on the potty and of course NOT!!!! He's very bright and very active and very head strong . I know he knows what he's supose to do but he just won't do it. I have him in a preschool that will still clean him up but was unable to send him to my daughers's private parochial school because he must be trained. My husband and I are are just so frustrated. WE have lost control in this matter and I'm sure he knows it.

If any of you  have had this problem, which I know you have. Can you tell me at what age this finally resolved?
A related discussion, encropesis  pooping in pants was started.
A related discussion, My daugher refuses to pooh was started.
A related discussion, I disagree  was started.