Child Behavior Community
4 year old and bathroom issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

4 year old and bathroom issues

My 4 year old has recently started getting up in the middle of the night to go pee 4 or 5 times in a 30 minute period.  He says there is no pain or burning when he goes, but he does just dribble, when he goes. (of course he would trying to go so many times) He drinks normally and goes normally during the day. He did have some issues with constipation a few weeks back and is currently taking Miralax once every 3 days. Could this be related?
    His doctor said that he does not have an UTI. The doctor does not even seem the least bit concerned when I tell him about the issue.  I have tried to talk to my son about it and all he says is that "he is afraid he is going to pee the bed".  I try comforting him and telling him that "accidents happen, and mommy would just clean up the mess if he did wet the bed" sometimes this works, sometimes not. He never does this during the day, only at night. I don't know if I should take him for a second opinion, or just keep a watch on his behavior, Could this just be in his head????

Thanks for any help in advance!
Angela
Has anything new happened prior to this behavior started  any new family, have you moved, could something have upset him.Any issues may wake him up, does he watch TV befofe bed with anything scary .Most times there are reasons you have to work them out it doesnt sound as it he has a bladder infection. Good Luck
You son is not sleeping soundly he wakes up because he has bladder spasmas  and thinks he needs to go to the bathroom.  Try not to get up with him.  If he is afraid and can not fall to sleep give him spyderman to take to bed with him.  Spyderman will not let anything happen to him, he is sure.  My grandson's father gave him a plastic sword to take to bed with him. My gosh it worked.  A plastic sword...would you believe it.  I also believe a clock radio set to turn off in 45 minutes might help his brain do something other than think to go to the bathroom. Bladder spasmas are not uncommon.  When you get old you will know all to well.  The only thing you can do is ride it out with him, but you can do that from your room not his. Try the sword.  Spyderman pillow cases work really good too.  Good luck to you he is only having bladder spasmas.  If they presist a uroligist may be able to help him.