Child Behavior Community
4 year old behavioral problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

4 year old behavioral problems

i have a 4 yr old daughter who at age 2 was kicked ou of her first daycare for bad behavior and tantrums she was accepted onto head start  about 4 months ago and things seemed to escalate with her bad behavior...she is horrible in public to the point when you try to just remove her from the situation and take her home you litterally have to drag or carry her out like a sack of potatoes...we have tried all types of diciplinary actions at home to see what works best but there was no such luck.. the more you try to explain and try to make her mind the worse she gets...i ahve been called on numerous occasion from head start that she is being very defiant and knows that she is doing something she was told not to do ..they say she may be fine one minute then bam! she is doing her thing and nothing they say or do does not affect her any....thay said usually by now most kids in her setting has realized and started to comply to the rules but she is totally opposite the more you try to get her to do stuff and try to talk to her the less you get from her if not worse..we have tried sticker and good behavior charts,reasoning,timeouts etc....at one time about age 1 and 1/2 she used to cry for no reason for hours while rolling around on floor etc then it escalated into bouncing off the walls to the point of trying to get her to slow down and settle down anywhere around age 2 to 3...., but now it's getting into behavioral and disruptive  problems at home, school and in public...does  anyone have any idea what could be going on with her...
also we have observed and her fits have no patterns they just come out of nowhere
Has she had any allergy testing? She also could have sensory issues that are not being recognized. Sounds, sights, taste, smells, and things she touches could easily be setting her off. My son has trouble with all of these and he also has allergies among other diagnosis. If you have insurance that will cover testing, I would schedule her to see a Child Pediatric Developmental Specialist so they could rule out different diagnosis. They could also refer her for occupational, physical, and speech therapy. She may need additional testing to figure out what is going on. Children do not have tantrums for nothing, something is going on in her world to set her off. Try not to be angry with her, she can not help the way she  is responding to the rest of the world. It is not your fault either. She needs to have a diagnosis before she starts elementary school because they will not tolerate her behaviors without knowing the reason for them. She does NOT sound like a child that is a spoiled brat so there has to be a reason she is acting this way. My son also has problems with any changes to his schedule or enviroment. I would start documenting every appointment, phone call, diagnosis, meds tried, and anything else that pertains to your daughter. Organizing all of her records such as medical, school, therapies will benefit her in the future. I keep a list of behaviors for my son that I am concerned about and bring it to all of his appointments. It is very stressful and hard to remember all of them unless I keep a list. Be sure and ask each Dr. or therapist you see what you can do to help your child. Do you have any family support?