Child Behavior Community
4 year old out of control!!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

4 year old out of control!!

I am the father of a 4 year old boy that has major anger problems at school. My son seems to have problems transitioning between activities or taking directions from authority figures in his classroom. When given a new task that he does not agree with he immediately refuses to comply and actively seeks to cause disruption in the classroom. He has frequently hit other students, biten teachers, kicked at the Center Director.

He was asked to leave one child care center (as nice as they possibly could) and is working on leaving another if not carefull. I feel terrible as a parent because I am failing in my parental duty. I have tried corporal punishment to the point that I know it is not helping him. He has asked for help and I genuinely feel that he does not want to act this way but can not help himself.

The kicker to this story is a little different from most I have read. My son does not exhibit any of this behavior at home. He really is the model kid away from school. In fact he is too perfect at times which makes me wonder if pychosis or mental illness could be present. I don't want to indict my son as having mental health issues but when he is raging at school he is off the charts. I witnessed him for the first time today when they called me to calm him down. I could not believe that was him in the background. It sounded as if they were killing him or he them.

His intelligence is extremely high (common thread here) and the teacher has stated that she has trouble keeping up assigning him work. He is rarely challenged with his schoolwork and seeks to learn all that he can.

Today after being reprimanded he punched an innocent girl in the face with his fist?? She had done nothing to him. We have requested some help from a local child therapist. We are wits end and would like to know if anyone has dealt with this type of behavior in such a young child? Please share thoughts or suggestions.