Child Behavior Expert Forum
4 year old stubborn behavior

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

4 year old stubborn behavior

My 4 year old son is a strong willed, strong minded and stubborn. He is very bright and captivating.  He can also be extreemely challenging.  He gets stuck on issues and doesn't let go.  For example he will ask for a treat or something we don't have, when I say no he keeps asking and it escilates into screaming or crying. I have used the 1,2,3 method, he ususally gets to 3.  We send him to his room and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 time outs in the room to calm down and "let it go".  He is the youngest of 3 boys 1 brother is 18 months older-5 and he has a 10 year old brother.  He has these problems with my husband also.  He does well in school.  He tested the teacher with behavior but has done well overall.  We have had to leave movies, sledding, and shopping.  It effects the whole family, especially my 5 year old, when we can't do an activity because of the behavior or have to leave.  How can I redirect him and get him to let go?  Mom B
You can't. What is important is to set reasonable limits and adhere to them, and it sounds like you are doing a very good job with this. Such strong-willed, oppositional kids are perhaps the most difficult to parent because there is little let-up in their behavior. The simplest things can evolve into struggles. One thing to monitor is that you don't reiterate directions over and over. Tell him no more than twice and continue to employ time out. A very good, practical manual to help you with behavior management is Lynn Clark's SOS: Help for Parents. It's wonderful and extremely useful